Fieldwork is a central and required component of UTeachSA. Early fieldwork experiences provide students with first-hand experience in a classroom setting. Our program is designed to give guidance and support to students from their first field experience through Apprentice Teaching. Field placements allow students to take theories, concepts, and methods from their courses and put them into practice in local classrooms.
UTeachSA students are placed with highly qualified and effective elementary, middle, and high school teachers in one of our partnership districts in the San Antonio area.
Fieldwork is required in the following UTeachSA courses:
- Step 1: Inquiry Approaches to Teaching
- Step 2: Inquiry-Based Lesson Design
- Classroom Interactions
- Project-Based Instruction
During fieldwork, UTeachSA students:
- Complete fieldwork with a partner
- Work directly with a mentor teacher
- Collaborate with a mentor teacher to determine a flexible schedule for campus visits
- Are observed and mentored by a mentor teacher and a UTeachSA master teacher
- Have the opportunity to interact with, observe, and teach students in public school classrooms
- Build a resume and network with area schools