Resources by Colleges
Meet your career counselor and view each colleges' list of links specifically for your major.
David P. Gomez Jr.
The Military Student Bill of Rights
Generalist and Military Veterans
For appointments please call 458-4589
Resources and Links
Veterans Employment Resources
National Resource Directory - https://www.nationalresourcedirectory.gov/
The National Resource Directory (NRD) is a website for connecting wounded warriors, Service Members, Veterans, and their families with those who support them. It provides access to services and resources at the national, state and local levels to support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration. Visitors can find information on a variety of topics including benefits & compensation, education & training, employment, family & caregiver support, health, homeless assistance, housing, transportation & travel, volunteer opportunities and other services & resources.
- American Council on Education - http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/FaqArmy.htm
ACE equivalency guide for educational or job training and job descriptions to effectively write resume job descriptions
- Department of Defense - http://www.turbotap.org/...
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) - www.esgr.org
information to help candidates identify companies which may automatically grant interviews to guard and/or reserve members
- Lucas Group- Professional Recruiting Firm (works with former military) - http://www.lucasgroup.com/military/
- Student Veteran Association - http://www.alamovets.org/
The SVA serves as the primary advocate for the student Veteran, their families and our non-traditional student associates at the University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Feds Hire Vets: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/Index.aspx Feds Hire Vets is your single site for Federal employment information for Veterans, transitioning military service members, their families, and Federal hiring officials
American Veterans National Service Foundation - http://www.amvetsnsf.org/scholarships.html
AMVETS annually awards scholarships to veterans, their sons, daughters or grandchildren.
The AFCEA Educational Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing educational incentives, opportunities and assistance for people engaged in information management, communications and intelligence efforts and fostering excellence in education particularly in the "hard science" disciplines related to C4ISR. The mission of the Foundation is to support development of engineers and technical personnel through selective training, scholarships, awards, prizes and grants for educational activities of unique and high value and professional educational programs.
The military services have several programs in place to assist Vietnam-era veterans as well as those retiring from a long military career. In recent years, many government, non-profit and for-profit organizations have started specialized programs to help veterans who served in Iraq or Afghanistan. Many of these veterans are not military careerists, but are returning to civilian life after honorably fulfilling their service obligation. Most programs have a special emphasis on assisting veterans with service-related mental or physical disabilities. Here are a few of those resources:
- Learn How to Become: Veteran's Guide to Getting Hired - http://www.learnhowtobecome.org/veterans-guide-to-getting-hired/
This is a link that offers a variety of resources to assist veterans with their career transition from Job Search to resources for employers who hire veterans
- The AbilityOne Program - www.abilityone.org/work_with_us/people.html
Federal initiative to help people who are blind or have other severe disabilities find employment by working for nonprofit agencies that sell products/services to the U.S. government
- American Corporate Partners (ACP) - www.acp-usa.org -
Free nationwide, in-person or e-mentoring, career counseling and networking with professionals for long-term career development for veterans
- America's Heroes at Work - www.americasheroesatwork.gov - US Department of Labor project, designed for employers and workforce development systems, addresses employment challenges with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and/or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- C.O.D.E. – Call of Duty Endowment www.callofdutyendowment.org
Helps veterans find careers and supports organizations that provide job training and placement
- The Farmer-Veteran Coalition www.farmvetco.org
Helps returning veterans find employment/training and works to improve job opportunities and veteran services in rural communities
- The Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EBV)
Hands-on training in entrepreneurship and small business management to post-9/11 veterans with service-related disabilities, offered through Syracuse University, UCLA, Florida State, Purdue University and University of Connecticut
- G.I. Jobs www.gijobs.com
Guide to post-military success with many career and education resources
- Helmets to Hardhats www.helmetstohardhats.org
Places veterans into building and construction careers through trade apprenticeship programs and offers specific resources for disabled veterans
- Hire Heroes USA’s (HHUSA) www.hireheroesusa.org
Transition assistance, job search/placement services particularly for veterans of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, with specific resources for wounded or disabled veterans
- Job Corps www.recruiting.jobcorps.gov/en/vets.aspx
US Department of Labor program offering free job training and post-training assistance services with priority enrollment for veterans (and three locations that offer dorm areas exclusively for veterans)
- The Mission Continues www.missioncontinues.org
Provides opportunities for veterans to serve as citizen leaders
- National Resource Directory www.nationalresourcedirectory.gov
Provides access to veteran services and resources at the national, state and local levels that support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration
- Operation RE/MAX www.operationremax.com
Provides listing of RE/MAX offices that have made a commitment to hire and mentor military spouses, veterans and transitioning personnel
- Return to Work www.return2work.org
Offers vocational rehabilitation and employment services: evaluation, training, placement, service learning and supported employment
- The Veterans Corporation www.veteranscorp.org
Provides veterans and service-disabled veterans with access to the tools required to become successful in business
- Veteran’s Transition Franchise Initiative www.VetFran.com
Franchise opportunities portal operated by the International Franchise Association, offering specific discounts to veterans