Server Virtualization Benefits and Features
The benefits of server virtualization are:
- improved server reliability and availability,
- Lower total operational cost.
- More efficient utilization of physical servers.
- More efficient utilization of power.
- Virtual machine creation: create virtual machine to customer's specifications for memory, CPU reservation, disk space and supported OS.
Some of the Features are:
- Lower costs for Customers by reducing need for IT infrastructure purchases.
- Enterprise scale virtual service infrastructure, including 8Gb Fiber Channel Fabric, 10Gb Ethernet Fabric, Multi-tiered Storage Array and Enterprise class Servers.
- Proactive maintenance of all necessary infrastructure components including physical servers, networking, storage, and management software.
- All virtual servers are housed in secure University Data Centers to take full advantage of redundant power, cooling, and facility support.
- Redundant Ethernet connections to network.
- Reduced downtime for physical infrastructure maintenance.
- Backups & Recovery based on a two week retention performed via daily snapshots of virtual machines.
- Infrastructure monitoring: 24/7/365 monitoring of virtualization infrastructure.
- Create Virtual servers to the customer's specifications for memory, CPU, disk space and supported OS.
Additional Features and Capabilities:
Consulting and advising on sizing and configuration of virtual servers as needed or requested by UTSA Faculty and Staff. Standards-based systems administration for OIT managed servers at no cost. For a consultation, please put in an OITConnect ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 210-458-5555. Please view a list of virtualization services OIT provides.