Awards & Recognition Team
- Award Descriptions & Nomination Forms
Each year the Student Affairs Awards and Recognition Team is charged with planning and coordinating the Annual Awards Ceremony.
The Awards & Recognition Team will be hosting the Student Affairs Award Ceremony on May 26, 2016. We will send advance notice of when to use the nomination forms below. For your convenience, the awards, criteria for nomination, and nomination forms appear below.
The nomination deadline is announced during each spring semester. Recipients of awards will be recognized at the Student Affairs Awards Ceremony, which normally occurs near the end of the spring semester. Additionally, all recipients shall meet the following award criteria and cannot be self-nominated.
Please note that the links to the nomination forms on this page are interactive PDFs which require version 7.0.5 or higher of Adobe Reader in order to be properly viewed, completed, and electronically submitted.
All forms will be submitted electronically through an encrypted channel by clicking the "Submit" button after the form is completed. You will receive a confirmation email at the email address you provided.
The Outstanding Student Employee Award is presented to BOTH an undergraduate and graduate student employee.
- Must be a current UTSA undergraduate or graduate student.
- Currently enrolled in at least 12 hours (undergraduate students) or 6 hours (graduate students).
- Is in academic good standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- Demonstrates success in his or her role as a student or employee either through longevity or improved work performance.
- Reflects a professional and positive attitude and displays strong customer service skills (i.e., punctuality, attendance, and customer friendliness).
- Not a UTSA professional staff member.
The Outstanding New Professional Staff Member Award is presented to a Student Affairs staff member who has been employed full time for less than three years in the Student Affairs profession (whether that be at UTSA or another institution).
- Must be a benefits eligible employee with less than 3 years in the Student Affairs profession.
- Have a high degree of integrity and loyalty to the mission.
- Performs all aspects of his or her job in an exemplary manner.
- Promotes and maintains professionalism in his or her position.
- Provides the highest level of service to Student Affairs and the university and willingly goes the extra mile.
- Demonstrates strong, progressive leadership and accepts responsibilities with a positive attitude.
- First full-time, student affairs position.
The Outstanding Support Staff Award is presented to a Student Affairs staff member who portrays a collaborative and dedicated approach to promote the university’s and division’s mission and is essential to the success of the department or office.
- Must be a classified benefits eligible employee.
- Promotes a positive environment and encourages collaboration within the office/department.
- Accepts responsibility, respects other’s time, and possesses a high degree of integrity.
- Provides exceptional service and support beyond normal job requirements which contributes to the success of the department’s work and to the UTSA community.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and excellent customer service, and participates in continuous training.
The Outstanding Professional Staff Member Award is presented to a Student Affairs staff member who has been employed for three years or more in the Student Affairs profession (whether that be at UTSA or another institution).
- Must be a benefits eligible employee with 3 years or more in the Student Affairs Profession.
- Demonstrates high level of dedication, initiative and cooperation in their job responsibilities.
- Shows comment to programming and/or process improvement that contributes to the development of students and the division.
- Displays a professional demeanor with students and staff.
- Collaborates with other departments to create synergy across the division and university.
- Directors and above are not eligible for this award.
The Outstanding Student Affairs Team Award is presented to a unit or area that has exceeded normal job duties to offer the best customer and/or programming (technical) services to its constituents.
- Consists of at least 2 staff members who are benefits eligible employees in a unit or area.
- Operates as a cohesive unit that works extremely well together, supporting the needs of each other including those outside their area, thereby creating strong personal and professional relationships.
- Exhibits the ability to make sound decisions (as empowered) and operates with a high level of autonomy. Please cite example(s).
- Provides exceptional service and support beyond normal job requirements which contributes to the success of the UTSA community and the team.
- Is proactive. Their work recognizes the need for a program or process enhancement and puts forth the effort to make it happen.
- Works collaboratively with other areas across the UTSA community.
This award goes to an individual whose leadership has directly impacted divisional/departmental development through their supervisory style. This award is given to an individual in a supervisory capacity. It is designed to acknowledge the leadership/guidance of a Supervisor/Manager serving as a catalyst for his or her staff to directly contribute to better serve the UTSA community.
- Leadership and management style contributing to the office/department or division goals or mission.
- Measurable changes/accomplishments your office or department has achieved as a result of the nominee’s leadership (e.g. budget, programs, initiatives, etc.).
- Track record for accepting responsibility at all levels (administrative, support, customer service, etc.).
- Established rapport with all team members.
- Professional demeanor.
- Collaborative, positive attitude.
- Invested in their role ultimately making UTSA a top tier university…investment in the mission.
The Transformational Student Affairs Leadership Award is presented to a staff member who transforms our students into leaders of our community and beyond. The staff member exemplifies the leadership example we nurture our students to become by the commitment they have to UTSA and their years of exemplary service.
Past recipients include:
- 2009 - Jan McKinney, Student Judicial Affairs
- 2010 - Eliot Howard, Campus Recreation
- 2011 - Barry McKinney, Student Activities
- 2012 - Yvonne Pena, Student Leadership Center; Inclusion & Community Engagement Center
- 2013 - Jennifer Ehlers, Undergraduate Admissions
- 2014 - Lara Crouch, Financial Aid and Enrollment Services
- 2015 - Jamie Trevino, Student Recruitment Information Systems
- Brings about transformation by creating a change in structure, appearance and/or character.
- Shows commitment to UTSA students and the division through their actions throughout the years.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Student Affairs core values of dignity, respect, diversity, empowerment and innovation.
- Enhances and innovates the quality of work in ways that significantly increase productivity and efficiency.
- Is a leader in the development of a dynamic and diverse culture that facilitates learning and engages students.
- Seeks to make interactions with students and colleagues intentional and meaningful.
- Creates opportunities to spark transformation within students and Student Affairs staff.
- Encourages colleagues to become transformational leaders.
- Nominees should have at least 5 years of professional Student Affairs or Higher Education experience at UTSA or combined with another university or college experience.
- This is the highest honor that a UTSA Student Affairs staff member can receive for their dedication to the division.
- Evelyn Betancourt-Martinez
- Virginia Getz
- Nigel Harris
- Nicholas Hernandez
- Renee Hopkins
- Lisa Jurgajtis
- Audrey Magnuson
- Samia Mansour
- Georgina Martinez
- Jennifer McDaniel
- Stephanie Onyeador
- Teresa Parke
- Vincent Perez
- Amanda Ramon
Please contact Renee Hopkins if you're interested in joining the Awards and Recognition Team or have any questions or comments.