tax form

International students: Free help with tax filing

By Tina DeSorbo
Student Advisor, Office of International Programs

(Feb. 8, 2008)--UTSA international students and scholars can get help with their U.S. income tax forms at the Non-Resident Alien Tax Workshop from 3 to 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 15 in Main Building Room 0.106 on the 1604 Campus. The workshop is free and open to UTSA international students.

At the workshop, participants will receive a packet of sample forms and helpful information for completing the forms. F-1 and J-1 visa holders are required by law to file Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals), whether they have earned money in the U.S. or not.

For those who earned income in the United States in 2007, tax returns must be filed by April 15, 2008. F-1 and J-1 visa holders with no income in 2007 must file Form 8843 by June 15, 2008. Failure to file the forms each year can cause immigration problems.

Tax forms are available at the Payroll Office, University Heights, and the Office of International Programs, Main Building Room 1.210, 1604 Campus.

For more information, call (210) 458-7267.

University Communications
Contact Us

text size | + | R |