Latest campus and coronavirus information Roadrunner Roadmap
Show/Hide University Links



Printer Friendly FAQS


Q: What is the Student Code of Conduct (SCC) and where can I find it?

A: The SCC is the document that provides the standards of conduct expected of individual students enrolled at the university. It also outlines the administrative due process afforded students and disciplinary sanctions that may be imposed for violations of the SCC. The SCC is available within the UTSA Information Bulletin, on the SCCS website under "Know the Code," and in print from the SCCS Office located in the Student Union North, room 2.02.18.


Q: What is a referral?

A: A referral is the first step in the student conduct process. It provides written documentation of student behavior that allegedly violates the SCC.


Q: If I've heard that SCCS has been sent information about me, can I call to find out what is going on?

A: Yes. Students are summoned to meet with SCCS when they may have been involved or have information regarding an alleged violation of the SCC. This may include any bystanders who have witnessed and/or reported alleged violations. Students are encouraged to call (210) 458‐4720 to schedule an appointment to discuss individual cases.


Q: What should I do if I have been accused of scholastic dishonesty?

A: You are encouraged to review the SCC sections 203 and 303, as well as meet with the professor alleging scholastic dishonesty. You may be able to resolve the situation with your professor. If you choose to sign the Faculty Disposition of a Scholastic Dishonesty Case form to accept the academic sanction, SCCS will still summon you to review additional behavioral sanctions as appropriate. If you choose not to sign the Faculty Disposition of a Scholastic Dishonesty Case form, SCCS will meet with you regarding the allegation.


Q: Why do I have to go to SCCS if I receive a summons and what happens if I do not?

A: SCCS is charged with the responsibility and authority to investigate alleged violations and summon students. The SCC states that you must comply with the direction of university officials, maintain a current address, and specify your preferred e‐mail address with the registrar as stated in section 401(B). Failing to comply with those responsibilities is not considered good cause for failure to respond to a summons. If you fail to appear without good cause, SCCS may bar your enrollment, alter your status as a student, or implement disciplinary hearing procedures until you comply with the summons.


Q: What happens at the meeting?

A:The meeting provides you the opportunity to discuss the referral and any additional relevant information with SCCS. You will be provided a copy of the SCC and are welcome to ask any questions.


Q: How are violations of the SCC resolved?

A: Violations are resolved by a Waiver or a Hearing. If you do not dispute the facts alleged, you can accept responsibility by signing a Waiver of a Disciplinary Hearing. A Hearing is the formal decision‐making process where a fair and impartial Hearing Officer will listen to evidence presented by both you and SCCS in order to make a decision about the alleged violation(s) and any resulting recommended sanctions


Q: Do I have to come alone?

A: No. You may bring any support person of your choosing.


Q: Can SCCS help me with a grade concern?

A:SCCS does not review or pursue academic performance issues. All students are encouraged to talk directly with their course instructor about grade concerns. The UTSA Information Bulletin contains the procedures for grade grievances.


Q: If I'm suspended from school, is my financial aid affected?

A: Yes, it could be affected. You should always check with the Financial Aid office whenever there is a change in your student status.


Q: Can I report a fellow Roadrunner who I feel has violated the Student Code of Conduct?

A: Students are expected to report personal knowledge of any alleged violation of the SCC. The Conduct Referral Form (Behavior) is for behavioral cases only, and can be found on our web page under "Forms." If you have concerns regarding a fellow Roadrunner's behavior, you may submit a Conduct Referral Form (Behavior) , or consult with our office


Q: Who can I tell if I am concerned about a fellow Roadrunner?

A: UTSA cares about the well‐being of our entire campus community. If you feel a Roadrunner has exhibited concerning behavior, you may submit an Incident Report on the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) website, located under "Report a Behavior Concern," or consult with our office. For more information regarding BIT, visit


Q: If I am a faculty or staff member, how can I refer a student to SCCS?

A: You can refer a student to SCCS by completing the appropriate referral form. You can find a Conduct Referral Form (Behavior) and the Faculty Disposition of a Scholastic Dishonesty Case form on our web page under "Forms." After completing the referral, you will need to review it with your direct supervisor for signature before sending it to our office.


Q: Is your office available for consultations?

A: Yes. SCCS regularly consults with faculty, staff, and students on many types of issues regarding student conduct and behavioral concerns. Our office is available to answer questions and provide guidance. You can contact our office at (210) 458‐4720. We encourage consultations in advance to ensure students are provided with administrative due process.