Network Access Control (NAC)
What is NAC?
Network Access Control (NAC) is a networking solution that monitors how computers connect to the UTSA campus network and ensures a minimum level of security requirements are met prior to a device being allowed to connect to the network.
Why implement NAC?
The NAC addresses a recent UTSA information security assessment and other UT System security initiatives. As we continue to reach our Tier One goals, we want to ensure our network resources and critical research data are secure.
How this will affect you?
In the implementation of the project, NAC will simply authenticate users. Anyone who plugs in a computer to the UTSA network (with a network cable) will be required to enter their myUTSA ID and passphrase before accessing any network applications or services.
Over the next few months, the NAC will be implemented at all UTSA campuses in phases by individual buildings. A new log-in screen will be displayed and you will be asked to provide your myUTSA ID and passphrase before accessing the UTSA computer network, computer applications and services. Phase I building deployment is complete. Phase II building deployments begin the week of August 10th and continues through 2015 (schedule below):
|Phase I Building List: (Completed)||Phase II Building List: (Starting Week of August 10th)|
|PNB: June 22nd - Completed||
UTSA Dorms (L01, L09, L11, LVB, V, CVB, SSH) & CC: Monday, August 10th Completed
|MHB: June 29th - Completed||MBT, CSL: Tuesday, August 11th Completed|
|MS: July 3rd - Completed||
SEL, PDS, MEM, SCG: Wednesday, August 12th Completed
|NPB: July 7th - Completed||CRW, BSA, FSA, FSB, FWH, CAR: Thursday, August 13th Completed|
|EB: July 14th - Completed||
TCB, AT (Park West): Friday, August, 14th- Completed
|||Break for Fall Semester Start|
Downtown Campus Buildings: Tuesday, September 8th through Friday, September 18th
Monday, September 14 – Monterey Building Completed
Tuesday, September 15 – Frio Street Building Completed
Wednesday, September 16 – Washington Place Completed
Thursday, September 17 – Durango Building A Completed
Monday, September 21 – Durango Building B Completed
Tuesday, September 22 – Buena Vista Building Completed
|||Wednesday, September 23 - ITC Completed
|||Monday, September 28 - MB (Floors 0,1,2) Completed
||| Monday, October 5 - MB (Floors 3,4) Completed
|||Monday, February 1, 2016 - RWC Completed
|||Monday, February 8, 2016 - BRG Completed
Friday, March 4, 2016 - CDC Completed
Friday, March 4, 2016 - PEB Completed
|||Friday, March 18, 2016 - SFA, SFB, SFC, SFD Completed|
Friday, March 25, 2016 - UCA Completed
|||Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - UCB, UCH Completed|
|||Friday, April 12, 2016 - XAG (revisit BRG Gate), BOS TEP Completed
|||Friday, April 15, 2016: BSB - Completed
|||December 2016: BSE (Floors 0,1,2) Completed
||December 2016: BSE (Floors 3,4) Completed|
||December 2016: AET Completed|
||December 2016: (BOS Floor 1) Completed|
|||December 2016: BB (Floors 1,2) Completed
|||December 2016: BB (Floors 3,4) Completed
|||December 2016: ART Completed
||December 2016: JPL Completed|
What action do you need to take?
- Microsoft Windows 7 or 8.1 OS users on the UTSA domain and getting Group Policy – No action needed. The transition is transparent to Windows users.
- Apple Mac OS X Users – For users of Mac OS X, an Apple configuration NAC Profile will need to be deployed to your machine. OIT is proactively identifying Mac OS X computer users in the targeted building and will deploy the profile needed to your machine.
- Network Printers/Other Network devices – OIT is proactively identifying these devices in the targeted buildings and working to ensure continued usage.
- OIT will be working with Information Security Administrators (ISAs) and Information Technology Associates (ITAs) to provide you with assistance in your college or department during the implementation process.
- OIT Technicians will be available within the targeted buildings on the planned NAC Building implementation dates to provide on-site technical assistance.
During any of the scheduled NAC building implementations, should you experience any difficulty accessing UTSA network resources, please contact OITConnect at 210-458-5555 or submit a request to OITConnect@utsa.edu.