UTSA MBC certification course introduces a unique, university fast-track program that teaches students to gain essential skills needed to facilitate all phases of the healthcare medical and insurance revenue cycle process. The program aims to develop proficiency in government and commercial insurance carrier specifications, and customer service skills needed to work in all healthcare settings.
This course will cover the basic principles and concepts of medical billing and coding:
- Fundamental understanding of the human body and medical terminology applicable to MBC
- Classify and assign diagnosis conditions and procedure codes using the national coding systems ICD10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS for healthcare settings
- Appropriately submit medical claims and ensure carrier fee schedule payment compliance
- Understand terms describing medical records, insurance explanation of benefits, and carrier reimbursement notices
- Understand and apply primary, secondary, and third insurance claim processes
- Facilitate healthcare insurance eligibility, and the complete revenue cycle process
A Medical Billing and Coding Specialist is a valued professional who plays a crucial role in healthcare settings. This professional applies knowledge of medical record information and transforms data into the universal language reimbursed by health insurance carriers. This career path highly supports remote work flexibility, allowing individuals to earn a good salary, make a difference in patients’ lives and become specialized within one year of certification completion.
The medical records and/or health information specialist typically perform the following duties:
- Review patient records for timeliness, completeness, and accuracy, including medical history, symptoms, examinations, test results, treatments, and other healthcare services provided to patients
- Use classification systems such as CPT, HCPCS, and ICD10 CM/PCS to assign clinical codes and confirmed diagnoses for insurance reimbursement and healthcare data analysis
- Work with clinical staff to electronically record clinical data and support the collection, storage, analysis, and retrieval of practice or institutional reporting
- Assist with clinical registries, electronic health records, and practice management systems, and assist with analyzing data to improve healthcare operations
UTSA Professional and Continuing Education offers the Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certification for all individuals interested in entering the healthcare medical reimbursement industry at an entry level with a high desire to learn and advance within healthcare settings.
MBC is offered as post-secondary training and requires passing the certification process through the National Healthcareer Association® (NHA).