UTSA Equity Advocacy Initiative
Through the Equity Advocacy Initiative, UTSA will develop an overarching framework for implementing the recommendations put forth by the 21st Century Learning Environments Task Group to foster healthy and inclusive learning environments. The initiative will formally connect those efforts to the work of tactical teams on degree pathways and higher education access as a part of our fundamental commitment to diversity, inclusion, and the success of UTSA students.
In support of the initiative, UTSA’s colleges and academic support divisions will develop new and enhance existing activities to advance diversity, inclusion, and justice.
College of Sciences
The College of Sciences (COS) is committed to the recruitment, development, and support of a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff through our educational practices and research programs. In 2020, the College of Sciences will focus efforts on three overarching areas:
Directed recruitment of historically underrepresented groups into master’s and doctoral programs
- Develop COS-wide branding for graduate education
- Proactive "in-reach" to UTSA undergrads, including auto admission, etc.
- Proactive "outreach" to faculty and students in Bexar County and South Texas four-year institutions, including regular virtual townhall/recruiting sessions and directed email
- Review and revise master’s program language to more cleanly articulate and advertise programs that are professional, designed for secondary-education teachers, bridge-to-doctorate, etc.
Building and/or support of existing COS-based affinity groups (e.g., women, Hispanic, African-American, LBGTQ)
- Primary is FY21 activity aimed at faculty as part of COS faculty success activities (inspired by iAspire work)
- Secondary is student level groups (and how to entangle with faculty groups)
More deliberate attention from the college about building a culture of inclusive, asset-based pedagogy
- Develop faculty interest groups to encourage conversation about pedagogy
- Develop workshops to address best teaching practices
- Implement intentional inclusive teaching practices