The goal of this initiative is to identify and launch activities that will increase national and international recognition of UTSA as an institution of research excellence and to reach status as a Research Intensive University, as identified by the National Research University Fund and Carnegie Classifications. Strategies aim to increase the institutions annual research expenditures, increase the pipeline and success of doctoral students, support UTSA’s faculty to achieve national research recognitions and the recruitment of National Academy members to UTSA.
- Launch a real-time dashboard for research applications, awards and research expenditure tracking.
- Dedicate a team to identify and capture total research expenditures.
- Begin prospect searches for National Academy hires.
- Build capture teams for large, institutionally significant research awards.
- Launch a Scholarly Awards program to increase the quantity and quality of national level research awards at UTSA.
- Align Sponsored Projects Administration and associated Research Service Centers for optimal research administrative support.
- Align internal resources to support graduate student recruitment and graduation.
- Align Research Cores and other research infrastructure to appropriate management structures to optimize operations and financial stability.
- Secure National Academy hires in strategic areas at UTSA, leveraging UT System STARs, the Texas Governors University Research Initiative and other faculty hiring opportunities.
- Launch the National Security Collaboration Center and secure funding mechanisms to support Government-Industry-University partnerships.
- Initiative a comprehensive external review to demonstrate that UTSA faculty are comparable to and competitive with faculty in similar programs at public institutions in the Association of American Universities.
- Initiative a comprehensive review of five UTSA doctoral programs to demonstrate that the faculty are comparable to and competitive with faculty in similar programs at public institutions in the Association of American Universities.
- Request and respond to the official NRUF audit by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).