lCommon Questions

1. Why should I see an academic advisor?

2. What can I expect from my advisor?

3. May I contact my advisor via email if I have questions?

4. How do I change my major?  What is the procedure?

5. What major is recommended for students who wish to pursue a health professions career?

6. How do I find information on CLEPing a course?

7. How will I know if I am on probation?

8. How do I calculate my UTSA GPA?

9. How do I apply for graduation?

10. What career is best with a B.S. or B.A. in Science?

11. How many math and science courses should I take a semester? Should I get all my core "out of the way?"

12. I am a prospective transfer student, how do I know if my courses will transfer to UTSA?

13. Is there a limit to the number of hours I can transfer in?

14. Can I take a science lecture without the lab?

15.  What is an "independent study?" How do I register for this?

16. What is the New 3-Attempt rule?

17. What is the 45-Hour Undergraduate Credit Limitation?   What about Repeating Courses?

18. How do I figure out my classification?

1. As an undergraduate college student, it is important to see an academic advisor at least twice in your college career.  Advisors are not here just to tell you what the best classes are, but can also guide you and help you make wise choices throughout college. ^

2. Your advisor is here to help with your academic issues.  Advisors in the College of Sciences believe in integrity, commitment to students, honesty regarding your academic future, competence in their job helping students, and most of all they believe in you. ^

3. You may contact your advisor via email using your preferred email account.  If you have your advisors email, contact them directly or to the COSUAC email at COS Advising. ^

4. If you are already a College of Science student or from another college at UTSA and you want to change to another major, please contact the COSUAC to make an appointment.  The advisor will prepare the new degree plan and go over it with you.  ^

5. That is a common question in the COSUAC. In order to get the best information on those type of questions, please contact the University Health Professions Office at 210-458-5185.  Also refer to their website for prerequisites in the health professions field.  ^

6. Many CLEP tests are offered at UTSA.  If you are interested in clepping core classes or are in need of free electives, then contact Testing Services at 210-458-4125.  They have a booklet containing the CLEPs that UTSA offers, as well as information on AP and DANTES credit.  Visit their website for more information.  ^

7. If you are placed on academic probation by the university you will receive a letter in the mail detailing the process.  In the College of Sciences, you will also be placed in a program called Strategies for Academic Success.  You will be required to participate in the program until your GPA rises above a 2.0.  ^

8. Many students wonder how to calculate their GPA.  They come to see an advisor in a walk-in to get their GPA calculated.  Click on this link to learn how to calculate your own GPA.  ^

9. Apply for graduation through your ASAP account by the posted deadline: There are new dates to apply for  graduation. The deadlines are as follows:  Fall:  April 15, Spring:  November 15, Summer (walking in May):  February 15, Summer (walking in December or not participating):  June 15.    ^

10.  If you are wondering what career path to follow after obtaining your degree, then you are like most college students.  To explore your options before you graduate, contact Career Services.  They have qualified career counselors who can explore your career options, as well as help you with your resume and interview skills.  ^

11. We do not recommend that you take all your core curriculum courses (e.g. English, history, politics) your first two years. This will mean that you will need to take very heavy math and science courses your junior and seniors years. Instead, we recommend you take no more than 12 hours of math and science courses per semester. If you want to take more than 12 hours a semester, you may add a core curriculum or free elective course. Note: The number of free electives varies by major and degree, so you will want to see an advisor for specific suggestions.  ^

12. If you are a prospective transfer student and would like an unofficial evaluation of your transcripts, you may pick up a request from ("Transmittal Form for Preliminary Unofficial Transcript Evaluation") from the Office of Admissions. Questions concerning this process should be addressed to the Transfer Center in the Admissions Office (210)458-4599 or getinfo@utsa.edu or prospects@utsa.edu ^

13. Only 66 Jr. college hours (e.g. San Antonio College) can be applied toward your degree at UTSA.  You must also be aware that 25% of your degree must be completed here at UTSA. Please schedule an appointment in a transfer session in the COSUAC to have your questions answered regarding transfer work.  ^

14. Yes, you can always take the lecture without the lab and pick up the lab later, if you need it. However, you cannot take the lab without ever having taken the lecture.  The only exception is Biology Department which allows students to take a lab without taking the corresponding lecture.  ^

15. An independent study is a course where you and your instructor decide what you will study. You will need to pick up an Independent Study form (from the CoS Advising Center or from the department office), find a tenure-track professor willing to work with you, and fill out the form together. You will then need to get all necessary signatures (instructor, CoS advisor, department chair, and associate dean) and take the completed form to the Enrollment Services Counter in the JPL to register in person. Note: There is a maximum of 6 hours of independent study that can be taken for credit towards a degree even if you are a double major. You will need to see an advisor to see where this course can count in your degree plan. ^
16. Beginning Fall 2004 upon the third or subsequent attempt to take the same course at UTSA, a surcharge of $121 per semester credit hour will be assessed in addition to the regular in-state per semester credit hour tuition rate. The Texas Legislature has mandated that students be held accountable for any courses they have taken beginning with the Fall 2002 semester.  For more info, see the current Information Bulletin.  ^

17. Beginning in Fall 2006, students who go 30 hours above the required number of hours in their degree plan will pay a surcharge of $121 per semester credit hour on top of regular tuition.  There is a petition process for this rule.  Please see the current Information Bulletin for more details. ^

18. If you would like to know your classification, please check ASAP to see how many hours you have earned.  0-29 is a freshman, 30-59 is a sophomore, 60-89 is a junior, and 90 and above is a senior.  This does not include the hours you are currently registered in, only what you have earned.  This does include transfer and clep  hours. ^

The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, TX 78249 (210) 458-4045
Identity Guidelines - Policies - Emergency Preparedness - Required Links
UTSA Home - Calendar -Campus Maps - Sitemap - Directories