Criminal Investigations Section
The Criminal Investigations Section conducts latent investigations for crimes occurring within the jurisdiction of the UTSA Police Department. Three Detective-Investigators staff the unit.
Detectives receive specialized training to investigate a variety of crimes ranging from theft to homicide. Detectives routinely prepare and file criminal cases for prosecution by the Bexar County District Attorney's Office. Additionally, detectives make case referrals to the Office of Student Affairs, University Housing, and the UTSA Counseling Center to provide a unified response to students needs. The Criminal Investigations Section maintains close working relationships with many local agencies to facilitate investigation of major crimes and multi-jurisdiction investigations.
The section also provides the following services:
- Major crime scene processing
- Background investigations for police applicants
- Background checks for security sensitive employees
- Evidence processing, examination and testing
- Fingerprinting service
- Crime trend analysis and statistical reports
- Executive and dignitary protection
- Information processing
- Administrative investigations
- Investigations of internal affairs complaints