Financial Management Operational Guidelines (FMOG)

Section 9: Travel

Travel Advances

Effective: 06/01/10 Approved By: Associate Vice President for Financial Affairs
Revised: 11/12/19
For Assistance Contact: Assistant Vice President for Business Services


The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) may advance funds to minimize financial hardship for employees or students traveling on official UTSA business.


bor.20801.ut requires institutions to issue regulations covering authorization for travel and reimbursement for approved travel.

irc.162.pdf (regulations and various rules) stipulate the expenditures that may be treated as non-taxable reimbursements and the corresponding documentation requirements.

Travel advances are processed in accordance with IRS accountable plan rules, irc.62.pdf.


Table of Contents
  1. Requirements and Eligibility
    1. Advances on Behalf of Students Traveling on Official UTSA Business
    2. Athletic Team Travel Allowances
  2. Allowable Expenses
  3. Travel Advance Payment Methods
    1. Travel Advance Card (TAC)
    2. Direct Deposit
    3. Check (exception)
  4. Account Codes
  5. Travel Advance Request (TAR)
  6. Settlement
    1. Excess Travel Advance Funds

A. Requirements and Eligibility

Travel advances may be issued to faculty, staff and eligible student employees based on a determination made by the Department Manager or traveler's supervisor that the out-of-pocket travel costs will create a financial hardship to the employee. Travel advances should be minimal and other payment methods should first be pursued by using a Corporate Liability Individual Billed Account (CLIBA) card. If an individual travels more than three times per year, it is preferred that they apply for a CLIBA card. For information on CLIBA cards see fmog.0903.utsa.

Prospective employees and prospective students are not eligible for travel advances.

A travel advance must only be used for allowable expenses that are reasonably expected to be incurred out-of-pocket for domestic or international (foreign) travel conducted on behalf of UTSA (official business). The amount of the travel advance depends on the estimated out-of-pocket travel expenses to be incurred.

Travelers must use the currently contracted UT Systemwide travel and car rental agencies.

1. Advances on Behalf of Students Traveling on Official UTSA Business

A UTSA employee may be issued a travel advance on behalf of students traveling to and from activities or events that advance UTSA's mission (research and discovery; teaching and learning; community engagement and public service).

Eligible activities and events include, but are not limited to, study abroad, national student exchanges, student teaching internships, practicums, observations, research and athletic related travel.

Travel advances issued on behalf of students must be requested by a Department Manager who will identify the employee with custodial responsibility of the funds while the students are in travel status. This individual is referred to as the Student Advance Responsible Party and will typically accompany the student travelers on the trip. The Student Advance Responsible Party is responsible for the usage and reconciliation of all funds disbursed for this purpose.

The Department Manager and Student Advance Responsible Party must:
  • Complete the PeopleSoft Cash Advance request or Travel Advance Card (TAC) form (and Travel Advance Request (TAR), if necessary).
  • NOTE: The preferred travel advance payment method is the TAC.
  • Obtain the travel advance and provide it to the student(s), if applicable, prior to the trip departure date.
  • Explain requirements to students and ensure funds are used for allowable travel costs in accordance with UTSA guidelines.
  • Settle the travel advance(s) after the trip return date within the timeframes established by UTSA.

NOTE: Travel expenditures must be settled within 120 days after travel has been completed in accordance with fmog.0904.utsa.

2. Athletic Team Travel Allowances

The Athletic Director or designee is responsible for compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association regulations when requesting reimbursement for expenses not typically allowable by UTSA. When such expenses are included in a travel advance, the Athletic Director or designee signature certifies compliance.

B. Allowable Expenses

A travel advance can be used to pay for the following expenses, regardless of how the travel advance is issued to the traveler (travel advance payment method):

  • Meals and incidental (M&IE) and lodging expenses: Funds for M&IE and lodging expenses may be advanced up to the General Services Administration (GSA) per diem reimbursement rate for the travel destination. See Reimbursement Rates, a section of fmog.0904.utsa for more information.
    • If the Department Manager authorizes an advance for M&IE and/or lodging expenses that is lower than the GSA per diem rate, the lower rate must be entered in the appropriate field(s) of the TAR form.
    • If the lodging expense exceeds the GSA per diem rate, the traveler must substantiate the reason for the higher rate when completing the TAR form. See Lodging Rate Increases, a section of the Travel Reimbursement FMOG for more information.
  • Lodging
  • Registration
  • Transportation: Including mass transit, parking/tolls, airfare and car rental and fuel.
  • Student Athletic Team/Group Travel
  • Other expenses: See Other Expenses, a section of the fmog.0904.utsa for examples.

C. Travel Advance Payment Methods

For detailed instructions on processing travel advances see UTSA MyTraining course PS 0309 — Travel Advance Process.

Disbursements and Travel Service (DTS) notifies the travel advance recipient by phone or email when the travel advance is available for pickup, or when it has been processed (typically four business days before the travel start date).

1. Travel Advance Card (TAC)
The TAC is the default travel advance payment method and is issued in:
  • The name of the traveler
  • Whole dollars only (rounded up to the nearest whole dollar)

The traveler must specify the TAC pickup location — DTS office or Fiscal Services — when completing the TAC Request form. The traveler must present a photo ID upon pick up and cannot send a proxy.

If the TAC is issued on behalf of a student, the Student Advance Responsible Party must pick up the TAC(s) in person. For more information, see Advances on Behalf of Students Traveling on Official UTSA Business.

If the traveler requests to reload an existing TAC, the traveler must provide DTS with the last six digits of the existing TAC when completing the TAC Request form.

The TAC may be requested up to 60 days in advance of the travel departure date to allow the traveler time to confirm or book travel arrangements such as lodging and airfare.

Travelers must ensure the TAC is paid in full by the established due date, regardless of the travel departure or return date.

The traveler must provide DTS with the begin date, end date and reason for the temporary activation when completing the TAR form. The TAC must be used during the temporary activation period to confirm or book travel arrangements.

2. Direct Deposit

An employee who requests a travel advance for group travel will be paid via direct deposit according to the employee's PeopleSoft HCM (Human Resources/Payroll) system profile.

Travel advances issued on behalf of students and paid via direct deposit are made payable to the Student Advance Responsible Party and not the traveling student. The Student Advance Responsible Party is responsible for providing travel advance funds to the student(s) when needed.

3. Check (exception)

Checks are only issued to faculty, staff and student employees as an exception and must be approved by the Assistant Controller or designee for extraordinary circumstances.

If the traveler requests a check, then a Supplier Information Form must be completed for the traveler to be set up as a vendor.

If payment by check is approved, the traveler must select the check delivery method when completing the TAR form – mailed to the traveler's address on file via U.S. mail or picked up in person at the DTS office or any Fiscal Services office. The traveler must present a valid photo ID upon pickup. A proxy may pick up the check; however, the proxy must present a valid photo ID and sign for receipt of the check on behalf of the traveler.

Travel advances issued on behalf of students and paid via check are made payable to the Student Advance Responsible Party, not the traveling student. The Student Advance Responsible Party is responsible for providing travel advance funds to the student(s) when needed.

D. Account Codes

A travel expense Account code listing can be found in the Expense Account Code Listing for Transactional Use document on the Accounting Services Tips and Tricks website.

E. Requesting a Travel Advance

It is recommended that you submit the advance request at least 10 business days prior to the trip departure date to assure sufficient time to process the request.

An approved Travel Authorization (TA) must be processed prior to requesting a travel advance. Once approval of the TA has been completed in UTShare/PeopleSoft, the department prepares a Cash Advance request in UTShare/PeopleSoft. The TA encumbrance amount should cover the amount of the cash advance.

If the request is greater than $10,000, then the department must prepare a Travel Advance Request (TAR) form to obtain the additional approval of a Vice President, Dean, Vice Provost, or Associate/Assistant Vice President/Dean. The approved TAR must be scanned and attached to the PeopleSoft Cash Advance.

If the request is not greater than $10,000, the TAR is not required and should not be attached. The cash advance request routes electronically in UTShare/PeopleSoft to the following:
  • Traveler/Employee Certification – Employee receiving the advance is required to log into UTShare/PeopleSoft to certify and agree to the terms of the promissory note.
  • Supervisor approval
  • DTS approval

Travel advances will generally be paid to the traveler at least four business days before the travel departure date.

F. Settlement

The traveler must settle the travel advance after returning from travel via a properly executed Expense Report and must include all required documentation (including receipts, if applicable). See fmog.0901.utsa for more information.

If a travel advance is issued in the form of a TAC (Travel Advance Card), all charges on the TAC must be paid in full to Citibank© by the internal due date, even if the traveler has not returned from the trip. See How to Make a Payment, a section of the Travel Cards FMOG for more information.

IRS regulations §1.62-2(h)(2) allow an employer to treat unresolved travel advance amounts as taxable income if the traveler does not reconcile and substantiate the advance within a reasonable time period after the travel has been completed. See fmog.0904.utsa for travel settlement deadlines.

In the event the advance is reported as income and then later cleared, UTSA is not required to return any withholding that may have been deducted from the employee's paycheck.

A traveler with an outstanding travel advance must settle the outstanding travel advance before a new advance will be authorized, so the traveler should ensure an Expense Report for the previous trip is completed as soon as possible. Travelers should also ensure to link or associate the Cash Advance to the Expense Report in order to close out the Cash Advance in PeopleSoft.

Travelers who require multiple travel advances for a given month will be asked to apply for a CLIBA card.

Departments may authorize CLIBA card holders to receive a TAC card to pay for meals and incidental expenses.

1. Excess Travel Advance Funds
Travelers who receive travel advance funds for M&IE based on GSA Per Diem Rates are entitled to retain the entire per diem, including any unused funds, regardless of how the travel advance was issued.
Except for meal expenses less than the GSA per diem, travelers are required to settle the reimbursement owed to UTSA when an advance was received in excess of authorized expenses.

A check or money order must be made payable to UTSA and must be deposited at either Fiscal Services office (Main or Downtown office). The check should include the traveler's Employee ID and RTA or TA number.

The traveler must also complete a Deposit Transmittal Form and scan and attach the deposit receipt to the Expense Report in addition to any other supporting documentation. The Deposit Transmittal Form must include:
  • Name of Traveler
  • Departmental Cost Center/Project ID
  • Account code 11704 (only applicable for advances)

To return excess travel funds via cash, visit Fiscal Services (Main or Downtown Campus) and complete a Deposit Transmittal Form. Fiscal Services will provide a receipt that must be attached to the Expense Report.


  1. Declaration of Missing Evidence
  2. Deposit Transmittal Form
  3. Direct Deposit (Fiscal Services)
  4. Motor Vehicle Rental Exemption Certificate
  5. Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate
  6. Travel Advance Card Request (TAC)
  7. Travel Advance Request (TAR)
  8. Travel Reimbursement/Settlement (TRS)
  9. UTSA Supplier Information Form


Date Description
11/12/19 Clarification of processes and updates to forms/hyperlinks.

In All We Do, We Do With Excellence - Every Person - Every Day - Every Job