Monthly Financial Report (MFR) reconciliation is a control activity to compare departmental records to The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA)'s official accounting records for the Cost Centers/Project IDs shown in the MFR. The reconciliation process includes noting and correcting any reconciling items (discrepancies between the MFR and departmental records). Department Managers are required to certify annually that all MFRs have been reconciled. Reconciliation helps management:
- Identify errors and inconsistencies
- Determine availability of funds
- Identify internal control deficiencies
For more information on reconciliations see fmog.0104.utsa.
Because of the importance of MFR reconciliation in effective internal control, completion of the monthly reconciliation and timely correction of errors and omissions are factors in QAR.utsa performed by the ICRS.utsa These reviews are intended to provide management with assurance that internal controls in a department are in place and are operating effectively.
For more information on QARs see fmog.1.6.1.utsa, and the ICRS.utsa website.
Responsibilities related to MFR reconciliation include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Stewardship of UTSA's assets including preventing overspending of departmental budgets.
- Ensuring that Cost Centers/Project IDs are reviewed each month and accurate accounting records are maintained, and certifying that the reconciliation of all Cost Center/Project ID activity has been completed.
- Reviewing the reconciliation and signing the Certification Statement (see Reconciliation Process). The Department Manager's signature indicates agreement that:
- Correction of all errors has been completed or requested; and
- All financial transactions are accurate, allowable, and appropriate.
- Keeping track of all transactions and related documents for any commitment or receipt of funds for Cost Centers/Project IDs throughout the month. This can be accomplished by keeping a detailed log and documentation for all transactions approved for a Cost Center/Project ID (the optional Reconciliation Toolbox provides a tool for tracking transactions).
- Completing a monthly reconciliation of departmental records against the MFR for all Cost Centers/Project IDs.
- Promptly notifying the appropriate department of errors and omissions, coordinating corrections to UTSA accounting records as appropriate, and following up to confirm that corrections were completed. For more detail on corrections of accounting records (see Additional Resources).
- Signing the Certification Statement and obtaining the signature of the Department Manager.
- Retaining all pages of the MFR including the Certification Statement, supporting documentation and related records for the current fiscal year plus three (a total of four fiscal years). Documentation may be paper or electronic. All documentation must be readily available for inspection for audits, Quality Assurance Reviews, and other examinations.
- Downloads the MFR (summary and detail sections) in the UTShare/PeopleSoft system (for detailed instructions see Job Aid: Setting Up and Running the Monthly Financial Report);
- Compares the information in the MFR to departmental records (see the Reconciliation Checklist for an example of an reconciliation tool);
- Identifies and keeps a record of any reconciling items;
- Initiates any corrections needed by contacting the appropriate department, and follows up to confirm that all reconciling items have been resolved; and
- Signs the Certification Statement and obtains the signature of the Department Manager. Signatures may be electronic or physical:
- For electronic signatures, use e-signature software (e.g. within Adobe or DocuSign). The optional Reconciliation Toolbox includes the Certification Statement.
- For physical signatures, the reconciler downloads and prints the online Certification Statement for both the reconciler and Department Manager to manually sign.
- Monthly Financial Report;
- Signed Certification Statement; and
- Supporting documentation and related records, including the list of transactions in departmental records that are not included in the MFR, other reconciling items, and documentation of corrections.
- Recommended training:
- Contact the BIS.utsa for assistance with UTShare/PeopleSoft technical issues such as accessing and running reports, and logging into the system:
- For assistance with corrections:
- Purchase Orders/Requisitions – contact the Purchasing Department
- Budget transfers, associated revenue, revenue in excess of budget – contact Budget Planning and Development
- Travel Authorizations, Non-PO Voucher Expenses and Expense Reports – contact Disbursements and Travel Services
- Procard transactions – contact Procard/Travel Card Administration
- Sponsored projects – contact the applicable Research Service Center
- Other expense corrections – contact Accounting Services