Welcome to the student travel web page for travel covered by the Handbook of Operating Procedures (HOP) Section 5.18 - Travel of Events that Involve Students and Other Non-Employee Participants. This policy serves as a guide for student travel and supports compliance with relevant state and University of Texas System (UT System) regulations.
HOP 5.18 applies to travel undertaken by students and other non-employee participants to reach an activity or event that meets all of the following conditions:
- The activity or event is planned by University faculty or staff;
- The University is funding or, through a potential reimbursement request, may be funding the activity or event;
- The activity or event is approved by the appropriate University administrators;
- The activity or event occurs more than twenty-five (25) miles from the applicable University campus (either Main, Downtown or Hemisfair Park, which includes the Institute of Texan Cultures; AND
- One of the following conditions is also met:
- Travel to the activity or event is funded and undertaken using a vehicle owned, leased, or rented by the University including other modes of transportation; OR
- Attendance at the activity or event is required by a registered or sponsored student organization.
This page contains important information about student travel procedures and serves as a helpful resource for faculty, staff, and students.Download the Student Travel Process Handbook
Submit your questions or comments by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
* These forms can be completed online and printed (require version 8.1 or higher of Adobe Reader).
- Texas Department of Public Safety Application for Copy of Driver Record
- To become an authorized driver of a rental vehicle including a twelve (12) passenger van that meets certain specifications, employees and student employees must have a motor vehicle report on file with the University Police Department which contains a rating of three (3) points or fewer for the most recent three-year driving history as required by UTS 157.
- The motor vehicle report must be completed prior to obtaining approval to attend the activity or event and before departure.
- Organizing departments must request a motor vehicle report from the University Police Department at least every twelve months after the employee or student employee is initially authorized to drive.
- UTSA Defensive Driver Awareness Training and Quiz
- To become an authorized driver of a rental vehicle including a twelve (12) passenger van that meets certain specifications, employees and student employees must also successfully complete the university’s online Defensive Driving Awareness course (SA 505) and quiz at least once a year.
- The defensive driver training and test must be completed prior to obtaining approval to attend the activity or event and before departure.
- Driver Training Course and On-Road Training
- To become an authorized driver of a twelve (12) passenger van that meets certain specifications, employees and student employees must successfully complete a driver training course and on-road training that pertains to the use of twelve (12) passenger vans at least once a year.
- The driver training course and on-road training must be completed prior to obtaining approval to attend the activity or event and before departure.
- Contact the Fleet Manager at (210) 458-7681 to schedule this training.
UT Special Events Insurance Plan (for domestic travel - optional)
- Special events insurance coverage is available through the University of Texas System. Students without current medical insurance are encouraged to purchase this coverage when participating in an activity or event covered by the student travel policy. Cost is $5.00 per day.
- UT Special Events Insurance Coverage User ID Request
- Organizing department completes, scans and emails the UT Special Event Insurance Coverage User ID Request form to Academic Health Plans.
- Requestor will be sent a username and password to access the online enrollment portal.
- Payment for Special Events Insurance Fee For Student Travel
- After the student is enrolled for the special events insurance plan by the organizing department, he/she pays for coverage at Fiscal Services and provides the organizing department with proof of payment.
- Prior to departure to the activity or event, proof of payment by the student must be submitted by the organizing department to the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students via email at email@example.com.