Latest campus and coronavirus information Roadrunner Return Fall 2020

Frequently Asked Questions

1.  What Is a Revenue Unit?

Revenue units have a greater ability to influence revenue generated for the campus through direct revenue-producing activities, such as delivering instruction, conducting research or providing services (e.g., room and board). In aggregate, revenue units are responsible for generating enough revenue to cover the costs of the central support units. Revenue units are further sub-categorized as either an academic or auxiliary unit.

 Academic Revenue Units include:

  • College of Architecture, Construction and Planning
  • College of Business
  • College of Education and Human Development
  • College of Engineering
  • College of Liberal and Fine Arts
  • College of Public Policy
  • College of Sciences
  • University College

Auxiliary Revenue Units include:

  • Athletics
  • Campus Recreation
  • Child Development Center
  • Food and Dining Services
  • Housing Services
  • Parking & Transportation
  • Student Health Services
  • Student Union (previously University Center)
  • Extended Education
2.  What Is a Support Unit?

Support units tend to have little to no influence over revenue that is generated for the campus. Support units, such as Business Affairs, Facilities and Human Resources, include central functions that support all campus units. In aggregate, revenue units are responsible for generating enough revenue to cover the costs of the support units.

Support units are further sub-categorized as either an academic support or administrative support unit. Among other characteristics, support units tend to share the following features:

  • Limited-to-no ability to influence revenue
  • Provide services and/or support to colleges, schools, centers and institutes, and auxiliaries
  • Accountable for optimal service levels and fiscal performance
  • Encouraged to justify funding levels through benchmarking
3.  How Are Centers and Institutes Treated in the New Budget Model?

In most cases, centers and institutes are situated within the academic units, and therefore are part of a revenue unit for the purposes of revenue and cost allocations.

4.  What Is the Subvention Fund?

The subvention fund is a pool of monies for those units not able to cover direct costs. The largest revenue sources used to fill the subvention fund include undergraduate tuition, graduate tuition and general state appropriations. Grants, contracts, direct (restricted) state appropriations, fees and gifts do not contribute to the subvention fund.

5.  How Are Carryforward Dollars Handled Under IRM?

Carryforward funds are defined as unexpended balances at the end of the fiscal year. IRM allows for some, if not all, carryforward of unrestricted funds. Greater carryforward limitations may be placed on self-supporting auxiliaries to keep student charges as low as possible.

6.  What Is the Incentive to Promote Support Unit Efficiencies So That Central Costs Do Not Unfairly Consume Resources From the Academic Units?

Support unit expenses are a complex union of fixed and discretionary costs. In most cases, support units will make annual budgetary requests of a committee that is largely represented by the revenue units. Budgetary requests are informed through service level demands and performance.

7.  Is Training Available for IRM?

Initial training was provided on drivers used for allocating revenue, activity levels, parallel year allocations and participation fee cost centers. New training classes are in development.