User Training and Access
- Principal investigator must submit a signed project agreement form before using any services or equipment at the core for the first time.
- Users must complete appropriate instrument training and show proficiency at the use of the instrument in order to get Trained status. Only Trained users can operate instruments independently.
- Users of the Zeiss 510 and Zeiss 710 confocal microscopes are required by UTSA EHRMS to complete the online training module SA465 Laser Safety Training at https://mytraining.utsa.edu/online/. A copy of the certificate of completion or training history must be submitted to the Core Manager at Cell.Analysis@utsa.edu to proceed with access to the facility.
- Instrument reservations and service requests must be made by users through the iLab scheduling system. Please email iLab@utsa.edu if you need assistance creating an iLab Profile.
- Be on time and follow the cancellation policy. Core facility access and assistance is provided Monday–Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Be aware that the Cell Analysis Core is a biosafety level 2 contaminant (BSL2) laboratory. All users are required to follow UTSA BSL2 laboratory policy.
- Human samples only when fixed can be processed in the LSR-II, FACS-Celesta, Image flow cytometer, and Zeiss 510 confocal microscope.
- Any fresh/unfixed human or BSL2 level samples must be run in the Bio-bubble contained FACS Aria-II or imaged in the Zeiss 710 confocal microscope.
- Principal investigators are responsible for reporting any potentially infectious or biologically hazardous materials present in samples analyzed at the core.
- Principal investigator must have an approved IBC protocol if applicable.
- Clean up the working area after use following CAC guidelines posted in each instrument.
Users are responsible for providing required compensation controls (samples or beads), sample buffer and sample plates or tubes.
- Please make all reservations using the iLab scheduling system.
- To schedule an appointment, visit the Schedule Equipment tab in iLab and select the desired time on the appropriate schedule (View Schedule).
- Reservations for the FACSAria-II require a 24-hour notice. Other instruments can be reserved 12-hours in advance.
- If your appointment requires Core Staff approval, DO NOT prepare samples until you receive approval notice.
- Requests are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Set-up fees and hourly charges can be found here and are subject to change without notice.
- Only Trained users will have access to the Unassisted fees.
- LSR-II, FACS-Celesta, and FACS-Aria II billing is based on FACS DIVA usage.
- Billing for the LSR-II, FACS-Celesta, and Zeiss 510 is recorded for a minimum of 15 minutes, followed by a 15-minute increment rate.
- Billing for the FACS-Aria-II, Imaging flow cytometer, and Zeiss 710 appointments is recorded for a minimum of 30 minutes, followed by a 15-minute increment rate.
- A no show fee will be charged equal to the full amount of time scheduled by the user.
- Cancellations are allowed up to 2 hours prior to scheduled time through iLab.
- Cancellations made with less than a 2-hour notice will incur the set-up fee charge.
- Same-day cancellations for sorting appointments must be made by calling the staff during business hours at 210-458-4093.
- USB drives or portal memory devices are NOT allowed to connect to the workstations that operate LSR-II, FACS-Aria, FACS-Celesta, Imaging flow cytometer, Zeiss 510, and Zeiss 710 confocals.
- UTSA members can request access to the IDC server by emailing the core manager.
- Please save your acquisition templates and export your data to your PI’s folder in Z: drive. The IDC server can be accessed from any computer on campus following these steps:
To connect from a PC:
- Open my computer
- Click on map network drive
- On folder field, type \\stor1.cbi.utsa.edu\idcserver
- Click on connect using different credentials
- Click on finish
- Enter UTSA domain followed by your UTSA credentials as follows: UTSARR\abc123 + passphrase
- After you have saved your data right click on the Z drive and disconnect
- From Finder, select Go – Connect to server
- Type “smb://stor1.cbi.utsa.edu/idcserver”
- Once prompted to sign in, use your abc123 + passphrase
- If you do not have an account to access the IDC server, please use any other computer in the core to transfer your data to OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.
- Data older than 3 months old will be deleted from the local drive in the workstation. The Cell Analysis Core is not responsible for user’s data.
After Hours Policy
Reservations for after hours use are approved on a one-to-one basis. These reservations must be made with a 48-hour notice.
Please send a detailed report of any problem immediately to the Core Technical Director, Dr. Sandra Cardona, at Cell.Analysis@utsa.edu
- Exercise reasonable judgment when reserving time on instruments.
- Sign in the log books as instructed during training.
- Acknowledge the core on all publications based on results from the usage of core instrumentation.