Acelerando Newsletter - Vol. 1, Issue 1
Acelerando: The Newsletter of UTSA Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Volume 1, Issue 1
CITE is now part of SIE
The Center for Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship is now a part of the Office for Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Our mission is to introduce students in all colleges across UTSA to the concepts of innovation and entrepreneurship. Got an idea for a new product, service or company? Curious about what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Contact us at SIE and we can help you discover what it takes to turn ideas into reality!
UTSA is Now a Blackstone LaunchPad Site
Roadrunners gain access to additional entrepreneurial tools
The Blackstone Charitable Foundation through the Blackstone LaunchPad efforts, provides budding entrepreneurs access to a network of more than 10,000 mentors with invitations to signature events like Startup Weekend, and access to world-renowned content and startup services. Now those resources are available to UTSA students as well! UTSA has become part of the Blackstone LaunchPad Network.
Several UTSA Honors Business students, Reem Youssef and Oliver Ortiz, have already taken advantage of the Blackstone LaunchPad opportunities by each remotely attending a Blackstone LaunchPad Startup Weekend.
- Visit our Blackstone LaunchPad at UTSA page to learn more.
- Check out the official Blackstone LaunchPad announcement at UTSA Today
- Read the article discussing what it means for UTSA and San Antonio at the San Antonio Business Journal.
New CITE Zoom Seminar Series
We’ll be kicking off this Semester’s Seminar Series on February 10th with an introduction to CITE and the Office of Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship by our Executive Director, Randy Quinn.
Winners of the Big Rowdy Idea Contest 2020
We had a lot of creativity in this Fall’s Big Rowdy Idea Contest. Starting out with 11 teams, the competition was narrowed down to five and then the final 3. First place this year received $5,000, second received $1,500, and third received $1,000.
- The winning company this year was MECM Medical with team members Cecilia Flores, Morgan Struthers, Melissa Lopez, and Eric Ivan Garcia Huitron.
- Second place went to Panic Relief with team members Devanshi Patel, Amanda Gomez, Kennedy Howland, and Marijose Sanchez.
- Third price went to Not Only Chicken B2B with team members Gigi Kamali and David Robinson.
A big thank you also goes to David Clark and VelocityTX for the use of their multimedia room for the hybrid local/remote competition and to our panel of judges for the competition: Dr. Christine Burke, Dr. Teja Guda, Washington Navarro, Dr. Mark Robinson, Andi Littlejohn, Ryan Salts and Joyce Dueley. Without them, the Competition would not have been possible.
For more info on innovation and entrepreneurship at UTSA:
Contact Randy Quinn or Gianluca Zanella. We’re here to answer your I&E questions!
Randolph (Randy) Borland Quinn MBA
Dr. Gianluca Zanella