Acelerando Newsletter - Vol. 2, Issue 1
Acelerando: The Newsletter of UTSA Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Volume 2, Issue 1
This is Acelerando, the newsletter of UTSA Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SIE). Here’s where you’ll find the latest on what’s happening in innovation and entrepreneurship at UTSA.
What's Your Big Rowdy Idea?
A Business Plan Competition Open to All UTSA Students
The BRI is used to teach the Lean Startup Methodology to budding entrepreneurs and prepare participants to launch scalable entrepreneurial ventures while simultaneously pursuing their degree program or working at UTSA.
Why should you compete?
- Show your talent and connect with San Antonio employers, investors and seasoned entrepreneurs in a setting that puts you and your skills in the spotlight
- Build your resume and stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs
- Challenge yourself and gain key transferable skills that can be applied in any job
- Test your ideas and business model in a risk-free environment and get valuable feedback from judges and mentors on key aspects of your business
- Gain access to mentors and networking opportunities to either raise funds for your startup or land a new job
- Last but not least, win $$$ and access to resources
Visit https://www.utsa.edu/entrepreneurship/events/big-rowdy-idea.html to learn more and register to compete!
Get Ready for San Antonio Startup Week!
San Antonio Startup Week is a no-cost, two week conference that brings San Antonio entrepreneurs, community leaders and change-makers together in October with insightful sessions, actionable workshops and awesome networking opportunities.
The conference will go from October 11 to 22, 2021 with no concurrent programming. You will see a number of partner events on the schedule, but SASW hopes this new format will improve the conference experience. SASW will be using the Emamo events platform that will make registration and social media promotion super easy. At this time, we are planning to be in-person with live-streaming capabilities. Should the conference format change, SASW will send an official announcement through the emailing list and social media channels.
With keynote partner events such as:
- Tuesday, October 12: Philanthropitch
- Thursday, October 14: Tech Fuel: San Antonio's Largest Cash Prize Pitch Competition
- Friday, October 15: Hustle + Socialize One-Day Summit (ticketed; one collab session open to the all attendees)
- Tuesday, October 19: Trinity University's Stumberg Venture Competition
- ...and more headline events to be announced soon when the schedule goes live
Follow San Antonio Startup Week's social media to stay up to date and learn more about the conference.
Register and Attend SASW 2021: https://sasw.co/
The Red Bull Basement Pitch Slam Event is Coming Up Too!
The Red Bull Basement is a global program to connect students and inspire them to innovate at university today and disrupt the world tomorrow.
Applications open on September 1, 2021 and close on October 24, 2021
- To apply, brainstorm your idea and describe it in a max 60-second video. Then upload the video and your application to redbullbasement.com. This is not a film-making competition: your idea is what matters.
- Make sure that everyone is at least 18, an enrolled student, able to speak English. A team can consist of one or two people.
- Ideas should be around the following 9 categories: Accessibility, Body & Mind, Career, Clean Water, Climate Action, Education, Empowerment, Energy, Smart Cities
- The 1 National US Winner will receive a 5-week development phase to kickstart their idea and will get to attend the Global Final and a Final Pitch
San Antonio Red Bull Basement Pitch Slam Event:
Date: Wednesday, October 13
Application deadline: October 24
Click here to learn more: https://basement.redbull.com/en-us
For more info on innovation and entrepreneurship at UTSA:
Randolph (Randy) Borland Quinn, MBA