Become a Peer Mentor
First-Generation & Transfer Student Programs house various signature programs that provide peer mentorship to undergraduate students that identify as either First-Generation* or Transfer Students**.
*First-Gen students include anyone whose parent(s) or guardian(s) did not complete a four-year bachelor’s degree.
**Transfer students include anyone that attended another college or university prior to attending UTSA.
FGTSP Peer Mentors:
- Are sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate-level students.
- Serve on a semester by semester basis.
- Are assigned a caseload of first-generation or transfer students, depending on the program they are involved in.
- Meet with their assigned students in one-on-one meetings or in groups to build a connection, share updates and announcements, and attend university programming together.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be registered as a full-time student
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0 out of a 4.0
- Must identify as a First-Generation* and/or Transfer Student**
- Attend UTSA for at least 2 semesters
- Sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate students may apply
- Clear a current criminal background check
- Must have or obtain a valid social security number
- Preferred: Participated as a mentee in either F2GG or RTE
- Starting salary $12.00 hourly
- 15 hours minimum - 19 hours maximum per week
Fall/Spring Mandatory Training
Applicants should know before applying that all Peer Mentors are required to attend mandatory fall and spring Peer Mentor Training. This happens the week before the first week of class. Training provides a space for the FGTSP Leadership Team to share updates on department/university goals, roles & responsibilities as well as an opportunity for the peer mentors to connect as a team.
Application for Fall 2022 Peer Mentor positions will open in March 2022.
If you have additional questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.