Campus Fire Log
|Date of Report||Fire Information|
|27 OCT 2018||Cooking||26 OCT 2018||20:00||Alvarez Residence Hall Community Kitchen|
|27 SEP 2018||Electrical short||27 SEP 2018||23:20||Alvarez Residence Hall C104A|
|6 FEB 2018||Accidental (Unknown)||6 FEB 2018||14:45||Chaparral Village 5.101|
|7 DEC 2017||Accidental (Candle)||7 DEC 2017||12:00||Laurel Village 8-209A|
|26 AUG 2017||Cooking||Laurel Village 6.101A|
|23 AUG 2017||Electrical short||23 AUG 2017||17:30 (approx.)||Chaparral Village 1.306A|
|16 NOV 2016||Unattended smoking materials||16 NOV 2016||15:30||Chaparral Village 8.304|
|3 SEP 2015||Cooking||3 SEP 2015||19:26||University Oaks
|16 JUL 2015||Metal Cutting||16 JUL 2015||19:30
|Chaparral Village 1 exterior|
|23 NOV 2014||Cooking||23 NOV 2014||Alvarez Residence Hall (was San Saba Hall), Community Kitchen|
|24 JUL 2014||Undetermined||24 JUL 2014||09:30||University Oaks, unit 2215|
|30 OCT 2013||Cooking||30 OCT 2013||20:54||Chisholm Hall Unit 136|
|2 OCT 2012||Cooking||2 OCT 2012||22:50||University Oaks, Unit 4203|
|21 JAN 2011||Unattended candle||21 JAN 2011||13:14||Chaparral Village 12.213|
|30 OCT 2009||Cooking||30 OCT 2009||19:25||University Oaks, Unit 602|
|7 MAY 2008||Cooking||7 MAY 2008||16:54||University Oaks, Unit 1904|
UTSA maintains a log of fires that have occurred in on-campus student housing in accordance with federal regulations (34 CFR §668.49)
The UTSA Fire Log is not a complete list of all fire events that have occurred on UTSA property. The following definitions apply to this fire log.
“On-campus student housing” refers only to structures containing residential occupancy for students. The UTSA Fire Log does not include neighborhood centers within student housing developments, campus facilities (administrative, academic, library, student life, or support) where students may overnight on a transient basis, vehicles, locations off UTSA property, or outdoor locations of any kind.
“On-campus student housing” consists of four developments. The UTSA Housing and Residential Life department (HRL) operates two of these, Chaparral Village and Laurel Village. Campus Living Villages (CLV) operates two of these, Chisholm Hall and University Oaks apartments.
“Fire” is “any instance of open flame or other burning in a place not intended to contain the burning or in an uncontrolled manner.” “Fire” does not include controlled burning, even when that event is contrary to policy, such as candles, smoking, or other open flames, when that open flame does not result in property damage.
UTSA statistics for fires in on-campus student housing appear in the annual Fire Report.
Combined Security and Fire Report:
Effective 2015, UTSA has combined the security and fire reports into a single document. To access the current report, connect to http://utsa.edu/utsapd/ and select “Annual Security Report.”
Between 2010 and 2014, UTSA's Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management office provided an annual Fire Report to the community. This fire report provided:
- Statistics relating to fires in on-campus student housing, including
- The number of fires and the cause of each fire;
- The number of persons who received fire-related injuries that resulted in treatment at a medical facility, including at an on-campus health center;
- The number of deaths related to a fire; and
- The value of property damage caused by a fire.
- A description of each on-campus student housing facility fire safety system.
- The number of fire drills held during the previous calendar year.
- The institution's policies or rules on portable electrical appliances, smoking, and open flames in a student housing facility.
- The institution's procedures for student housing evacuation in the case of a fire.
- Fire safety education and training programs provided to the students and employees.
- Titles of each person or organization to which students and employees should report that a fire occurred.
- Plans for future improvements in fire safety, if determined necessary by the institution
Fire and Life Safety Requirements
UTSA's Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management maintains a Fire and Life Safety Manual, which describes policies associated with fire protection, fire prevention, and life safety at the University.
To access this manual, connect to http://www.utsa.edu/safety/#/safetymanuals and select “Fire and Life Safety Plan.”
UTSA's Police Department provides an annual Security report to the community.
To access the current report, connect to http://utsa.edu/utsapd/ and select “Annual Security Report.”