Skip to Search Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content
Show/Hide University Links

Academic and Non-Academic Concerns

Academic Concerns

  • Students who have concerns that are academic in nature are encouraged to make every attempt to resolve their situation at the faculty level.

  • If their concerns cannot be rectified, they should then appeal to the appropriate Department Chair and then to the Dean's Office if necessary.

  • Once a final decision has been made at the College level, undergraduate students have the option of appealing outside the College to the Vice Provost and Dean of the University College while graduate students would appeal to the Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School.

  • The Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs considers decisions made at these levels final. However, further review at the Provost level may be warranted.

Non-Academic Concerns

  • If concerns are non-academic (e.g. program and/or service related), a concerted effort should be made to work out the situation at the student-employee level.

  • Next, students would appeal to the supervisor or manager of a particular office and then to the respective Assistant or Associate Vice President.

  • If necessary, final appeals would then be made to the appropriate Vice President.

  • Any concerns involving discrimination or sexual harassment should be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity Services, while violations of the Student Code of Conduct should be filed with Student Conduct and Community Standards.

It is recommended that students be familiar with the most current UTSA Information Bulletin and applicable degree program requirements as outlined in their specific catalog of graduation. These resources will help students become more knowledgeable about the university's general policies and procedures including academic requirements. Students are advised to bring forward their concerns constructively as they arise and should be aware of any relevant deadlines. They should also keep a written record of who they have talked to and what they have done to aid in the resolution process including keeping copies of any pertinent paperwork.