Become an SI Leader | Supplemental Instruction
Get paid to have fun, work a flexible schedule, make new friends and gain leadership experience by becoming an SI leader.
SI Leaders can gain professional leadership experience by working online with Professors, Supervisors, and other SI Leaders.
Follow the instructions on how to apply for an SI Leader position at the Supplemental Instruction.
Ultimate Leadership Experience
Get paid to have fun, work a flexible schedule, make new friends and gain leadership experience by becoming an SI leader. SI leaders work 10 hours per week during the Fall & Spring semesters. Primary responsibilities include:
- Attend all class meetings of the selected course, take notes and read assigned materials.
- Actively recruit SI participants by making weekly announcements about the availability of SI sessions to students and by posting session information every class meeting.
- Conduct three 50-minute study sessions per week throughout the term.
- Ascertain course requirements, plan effective learning activities and provide handouts for use during SI sessions.
- Maintain contact throughout the term with the course professor.
- Meet with other campus SI leaders and supervisory staff at weekly meetings.
- Maintain office hour each week in the SI office.
- Attend the mandatory SI Leader training prior to the start of every Fall and Spring semester.
The application process has five steps:
- Step 1: Send the recommendation link below to your references (two professors, at least one from UTSA).
- Step 2: Apply with the link below.
- Step 3: If you are selected for an interview, you receive a call to be scheduled. The interview will be via Zoom.
(In case you were called during our outreach, please note that we can only go forward with an interview if we received a completed application at least 24h before the interview, no matter if we scheduled it ahead or not. If we did not receive the complete application, the interview will be cancelled.)
- Step 4: Conduct an interview with SI staff.
- Step 5: Hiring decisions are finalized in the hiring committee after interviews have been completed - usually meeting bi-weekly. You will be informed about the decision of the hiring committee.
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or above.
- A grade of a "B" or higher (3.0 or above) in the selected SI course.
- Completed 24 credit hours.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a collaborative environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Two letters of reference from faculty members, one of which from UTSA.
- Successfully complete mandatory pre-semester SI Leader training.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check.
Applications and Links
Qualified applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements will be contacted by phone to schedule a formal interview with the SI Program. Hiring decisions are finalized in the hiring committee.