Skip to Search Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content

Student's F.A.Q.

General Advising Questions for Undergraduate Students

What is the application deadline to apply for admission to the university?

Why have I received provisional admission?

Provisional admission is offered when a student does not meet UTSA’s regular admission criteria. In the admissions review, one area of focus is a student’s SAT and/or ACT scores combined with their class rank. If the required test score and class rank is not earned, provisional admission may be offered.

How do I clear my provisional status and move to good standing?

After you complete 18 college credit hours at UTSA and have earned at least a 2.00 GPA, you will clear your provisional status and move to good standing. If your GPA is below 2.00 at the time you complete 18 college credit hours, you will be academically dismissed.

If I’ve taken courses elsewhere, how do I know which courses will transfer?

The Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCN) will tell you if an how it transfers to UTSA, which you may access using the following link: For all other transfer course listings, refer to, Transfer Equivalency:

Once admitted, do I need to attend an orientation session?

It is required for all freshman and freshman transfer students with less than 30 earned credit hours to attend an orientation. For students transferring with more than 30 hours, it is not required but strongly encouraged. Instruction regarding orientation can be found on your acceptance letter and also by consulting the Orientation and Family Program website at

Where do I go for my academic advising?

Every student is assigned an academic advisor based on the student's major—students without declared majors also have assigned advisors. Students can see who their assigned advisor is and get information on how to contact them by logging into ASAP, clicking on the Student Services tab, and selecting Advisor Contact Information.

What is my advisor’s role?

An advisor’s role is to provide academic support and guidance which includes:
  • Meeting with advisees during office hours for advising via appointment, walk-in, telephone, e-mail, or web access
  • Understanding and effectively communicating the curriculum, degree/college requirements, graduation requirements, and university policies and procedures
  • Serving as advocates for both the student and the university
  • Encouraging and guiding students as they define and develop realistic academic and career goals
  • Encouraging and supporting students as they develop clear attainable educational plans
  • Providing students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus
  • Assisting students in understanding the purpose and goals of higher education and its effect on their lives and personal goals
  • Monitoring and accurately documenting students’ progress toward meeting their goals and completing their degrees
  • Assisting students in gaining decision making skills and in assuming responsibility for their educational plans and achievements
  • Maintaining confidentiality of student records and advising sessions

What preparation is needed on my part to maximize the time with my advisor?

Students are best prepared for an advising session when they come with questions related to degree requirements and academic concerns. Students should also review their core curriculum and degree requirements, along with any university policies that are relevant to their individual situations.

When is the best time to see my advisor?

Any time is a good time to meet with an academic advisor as they are available year round. To avoid a long wait time, it is recommended that you meet with the academic advisor during non-registration times.

If I’m a student athlete, where do I go for advising?

Scholarship athletes are dually advised by the center of their major and the Athletics advisor.

When do I register for next semester?

The UTSA registration schedule can be viewed on the Registrar Website:

How do I figure out my classification?

UTSA undergraduate students are classified according to the following table:
Classification Terms Number of Semester Credit Hours Earned
Upper-division Senior 90 or more
Junior 60 to 89
Lower-division Sophomore 30 to 59
Freshman 0 to 29

ASAP says I have a hold and I can’t register. What do I do next?

Contact the department responsible for the hold in order to find out what steps you should take to remove the hold.

What is a pre-requisite?

Several courses at UTSA require students to first successfully complete another course beforehand. This latter course is called a pre-requisite.

How do I know if a class has a pre-requisite?

Both the catalog and ASAP will indicate if a course has a pre-requisite

When registering, how do I know if a specific section is reserved for a unique student population?

Course listings in ASAP also indicate reserved sections. Such sections are denoted with letter codes.

What is a “Q Course”?

One of the university’s goals is for students to not only learn the subject matter associated with their major, but to also think about topics and situations at a deeper level. Designated courses are taught in such a way so that students evaluate, assess and make informed decisions; they think at a higher level. The goal is for students to transfer this ability outside the classroom and into their everyday lives.

How do I know if SI or tutoring is offered for my course?

Normally, SI leaders identify and introduce themselves in the classroom, at the beginning of the semester. They then facilitate study groups during designated days/times that are based on popular demand. If a student is unable to attend a session, he can connect with the SI leader during office hours. SI is housed within the Tomás Rivera Center and for more information, you can click onto

For tutoring, the TRC provides tutoring at the library – If students would like for someone to proofread their papers, they can find this service through the Writing Center –

How do I calculate my G.P.A.?

The UTSA grade point average is determined by dividing the number of grade points earned at UTSA by the number of for-credit semester credit hours attempted at UTSA. Credits and grades for work completed at other institutions or credits earned by examination are not included in the UTSA grade point average.

Can I repeat a course?

You may repeat up to a maximum of four separate courses throughout your enrollment at UTSA, in order to apply the repeat/replace policy. For the repeat/replace policy, you are only allowed one attempt at each of the four courses, and the original grade must be a “D” or lower.

Can I drop a course?

Undergraduate students may drop courses from their schedules for a limited time each semester based on the deadlines specified in the academic calendar.

Courses officially dropped before the Census Date do not appear on a student’s transcript. See the online registration calendar each semester for the Census Dates. Students who drop courses between the Census Date and the Automatic “W” Date have a record of the courses on their transcripts with an automatic grade of “W.” Students should also familiarize themselves with the 6-Drop Rule, which restricts their total number of drops allowed: effective Fall 2007, the legislated and enacted six-drop policy limits each student to drop no more than six courses throughout his or her undergraduate college career at Texas public institutions of higher education. Under Section 51.907 of the Texas Education Code, “an institution of higher education may not permit a student to drop more than six courses, including any course a transfer student has dropped at another institution of higher education.

What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from one?

It is the same action, but the difference is timing. There is a deadline to drop a course and if the course is dropped by this deadline, then it does not show on your transcript, and you get a 100% refund. Once the drop deadline has passed, a student may now withdraw from a course. The transcript would show “W” which neither helps or harm the institutional GPA. In addition, no refund would be given.

As a provisional student, can I drop a class?

Yes. If you are failing a class and you will be unable to pass it, then in most cases it is better to drop the class prior to the drop date deadline. The “W” will not affect your GPA. (Each student situation is different, so it is highly recommended that you speak to an advisor before making a decision to drop a class.)

Is there a limit to how many courses I can withdraw?

At UTSA, students are allowed a maximum of six individual withdrawals throughout their enrollment at the university. This limit applies to all student populations.

What happens if I fall on academic probation?

Students in good standing, whose overall UTSA grade point average falls below 2.0 are placed on academic probation. (The exception is for first-time undergraduates who meet the criteria for academic warning.) Academic probation will be cleared when a student achieves a 2.0 overall UTSA grade point average.

Students placed on academic probation must make a semester grade point average of 2.0 or above in each semester of probation, in order to remain enrolled. Students on academic probation whose semester grade point average is below 2.0 will be placed on academic dismissal, even if their overall UTSA grade point average is above 2.0.

Students on academic probation must be advised prior to registration to help ensure their academic success. At that time, the student and the advisor will develop a plan specifying expectations the student will be required to meet during the semester. Students who do not follow this plan will be subject to academic dismissal.

Students cannot graduate while on academic probation.

Students on academic probation may enroll in no more than 13 semester credit hours in a Fall or Spring Semester and no more than 7 semester credit hours in a Summer Semester. Students on academic probation during a Spring Semester may not enroll in the following May Mini-mester.

What do I need to do to clear my academic probation status?

At the end of each semester that you are on probation, the university reviews two sets of GPAs. The first one is your semester GPA. It must be at least a 2.00 in order for you to be eligible to continue. If this GPA is below 2.0, you will be academically dismissed, regardless of your institutional GPA.

Once the university confirms that your semester GPA is at or above 2.00, it will then determine with your institutional GPA is. One of two things will happen:
  • If this one is below 2.00, then you must continue on academic probation.
  • However, if it is at least at 2.00, then you have cleared the probation.

If I take courses at another school and transfer the credits back to UTSA, will it help my UTSA GPA?

No, your UTSA GPA is based only on your grades earned at the university. However, you may transfer courses in order to satisfy course requirements within your degree plan. It is recommended that you first consult with your academic advisor beforehand.

Do developmental/remedial classes count toward my GPA and helping me clear my provisional status?

No. Developmental/remedial classes do not count toward your GPA or the 18 college credit hours to clear your provisional status.

As a provisional student, what happens if my GPA falls below 2.00 my first semester?

If your GPA falls below a 2.00 your first semester, you will NOT be dismissed from UTSA because you will not have earned 18 college level hours. However, you will need to work extra hard to improve your GPA your second semester because you will most likely be reviewed at that time. Repeating a class you earned a “D” or “F” can help tremendously.

As a provisional student, what if I get dismissed?

All dismissed provisional students that want to return to UTSA must attend another college or university, complete at least 12 college credit hours, and earn at least a 2.00 GPA prior to applying for readmission.

How do I change my major?

Contact your academic advising office in order to change your major.

Where do I find out about career options in my current major? If a change my major?

I’m no longer eligible to continue in my major. Who do I talk to about choosing another major?

The Tomás Rivera Center works with students who are truly undecided or have become undeclared because of ineligibility to continue in their major. The advising location is MS 1.02.06.

I have a 45 hour hold. What is it?

In order to ensure that students do not get behind with their graduation timeline, each undergraduate is expected to meet with an academic advisor in their major, in order to receive a tailored degree plan called a semester by semester plan. Students must review and receive their semester by semester plan by the time there are at their mid-point of their sophomore year (at 45 credit hours).

How and when do I apply for graduation?

Contact your advising center for graduation application deadlines.

What is the required GPA for my graduation?

See your college advisor for more information.

What if I want to transfer somewhere else? How will I know what UTSA courses will count?

The personnel at your new institutions will know best how to interpret your UTSA credit. Contact their admissions and advising offices prior to transferring.

Where can I find more information about academic advising at UTSA?