New Student Orientation Advising Appointments
Welcome to The University of Texas at San Antonio! We are excited you are joining the Roadrunner family and look forward to meeting you!
As part of the new student orientation experience, you will meet with your assigned Academic Advisor who will assist you with any advising questions, registration planning tips, creating a personalized graduation plan, and how to be successful at UTSA.
The below information will help prepare for your appointment. Make sure to check your UTSA-issued @my.utsa.edu e-mail address regularly, as this is how we will contact you about your new student advising appointment.
Scheduling your appointment
- You will receive a welcome email from your assigned academic advisor within two weeks of completing Online Orientation that will include information on how to schedule your in-person or virtual 45-minute advising appointment.
- Appointments must be scheduled, we do not offer walk/drop-in appointments for orientation advising.
- If you do not receive a welcome email from your assigned advisor within two weeks from when your Orientation hold has been resolved, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before your appointment, we need you to:
- Review the Academic Advising Preview to prepare for your Academic Advising appointment
- If you are a Freshman OR Freshman Transfer:
- Verify/confirm your personal information on your myUTSA Account. For instructions on how to update your information visit One Stop.
- Read the appointment confirmation you receive after scheduling your appointment. Also, check your email’s junk mail/spam folder
- Please arrive in the advising office (in-person appointment) or Zoom waiting room (virtual appointment) 10 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Please note you cannot register for classes until all holds impacting your registration have been resolved. We recommend that you take care of your TSI and Meningitis holds before your advising appointment so that you can register for your classes when you meet with your academic advisor.
During your appointment, you and your Academic Advisor will:
- Have the opportunity to discuss a change of major, if needed.
- Discuss course options.
- Begin the class registration process.
After your appointment, you should
- Register for any remaining classes.
- Expect a follow-up e-mail, including a survey, from your Academic Advisor.
- View the “ What’s Next? ” handout for tips and tools for success.