Frequently Asked Questions


Table of Contents

How can I tell what classes will transfer?

I am a CAP student.  What classes will I need when I get to Austin? 

When is the last day to register / pay / drop / add / withdraw?

Can I meet with the same advisor every time?

Under what circumstances can I retake a class and replace the grade?

What should I do if I want to change my major?

If I am a first semester freshman, will I be able to register for classes if I don’t attend orientation?

Where can I access information for freshmen?

How do I find out if I am going to receive AP and/or dual credit?

Which math class should I take?

Will dropping this class hurt my financial aid?

Should I drop a class?

I know what I want to major in, but I don’t know what I want to do with my degree.

How do I know if a class has a prerequisite?



1.  How can I tell what classes will transfer?

There are two ways to check transfer equivalency.  The first is to look at the Texas Common Course Numbers in the back of your catalog.  This is a list of classes as they frequently appear in other course catalogs along with their UTSA course number.  If you prefer to look online, you can go to the online Transfer Equivalency program, and enter in the information for the coursework at the other school, to see how it transfers to UTSA.


Back to Top



2.  I am a CAP student.  What classes will I need when I get to Austin? 

In order to look at the classes available at UT Austin or to look at the class description, you would need to go to the UT Austin Website or contact someone at UT Austin.  The UTSA advisors can help you select the CAP classes needed to fulfill your contract, but we do not have access to UT Austin class information beyond what is available on the website.



Back to Top



3.  When is the last day to register / pay / drop / add / withdraw?

Information regarding deadlines can be found through the UTSA homepage.  After you access the homepage, click on “current students” and then look for the link to the “administrative and academic calendar.” Also, important dates are listed on the CFAC homepage and on the ASAP Main Menu page.




Back to Top



4.  Can I meet with the same advisor every time?

You are more than welcome to request a specific advisor when making an appointment.  However, CFAC suspends appointments and operates on a walk-in basis during our busiest times (the beginning and end of the semester and the summer).  This change is to ensure that we can see as many students as possible.  During the walk-in period, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to see the same advisor.  Please rest assured that each advisor is cross-trained in every discipline; therefore, whichever advisor that you see during this time will be able to provide complete and accurate information. 



Back to Top



5.  Under what circumstances can I retake a class and replace the grade?

An undergraduate student may repeat an individual course only once in an attempt to improve a grade of D or F and may repeat at most four courses in attempts to improve grades.  The class must be retaken at UTSA!  If you retake the class at a different institution (such as a community college), then the grades will be averaged instead of having the higher grade replace the D or F.  If you have already replaced four D's or F's, you may still retake the class, but the original grade will be averaged into your grade point average.  You may only attempt to replace the grade once (excluding W's).  Also, please remember that the grade will be replaced in the GPA calculation but it will not go away completely.  The original class and grade still shows on your transcript.  Retaking a class and replacing the grade is a fast way to improve your GPA – especially if your overall GPA has fallen below the 2.0 needed to remain in good standing.


Back to Top



 6.  What should I do if I want to change my major?

Changing your major is a relatively easy process.  There is a form that the advisor will help you fill out, and the advisor will process the change.  Please remember that changes to your major will be in the system but will not appear on ASAP or BANNER until after the census date (towards the beginning of the semester).  Certain majors require you meet specific requirements before being able to change your major (Engineering and Architecture are examples.) When changing your major, please be sure to ask the advisor any question you have about classes needed for the new major. 



Back to Top



7.  If I am a first semester freshman, will I be able to register for classes if I don’t attend orientation?

The short answer is no.  All first semester freshmen and freshmen transfer students (those with 29 credit hours or fewer) are required to attend the UTSA new student orientation, Roadrunner Roundup, in order to register for classes.  The orientation will not only allow you to register for classes, but it will also provide you with valuable information about the campus.  Plus you will have an academic advisor help you with your schedule so that you can register with confidence knowing that you are taking the correct classes.  For more information about Roadrunner Roundup, please visit the Orientation website.  


Back to Top



8.  Where can I access information for freshmen?

There are several websites that you can access for freshman related information.  The first is the Colleges’ Freshman Advising Center website.  The CFAC website has information such as important dates, transfer equivalency information, departmental information, etc.  Check out some of the links on the left hand side of the homepage.  It is chock full of information! 

For freshmen who have not yet started classes at UTSA, the Admissions Office has provided a website for those who've been admitted and want to know what the next step is, entitled, 'You're Admitted, What's Next?" This is where you can find information and videos about advising, testing, financial aid, housing, orientation, etc. 

Another website that can provide information is the UTSA homepage.  From this website you can access information regarding course catalogs, different colleges of interest, the academic calendar, and services provided by the university. Type in anything you're looking for in the search bar at the top right corner of the homepage.



Back to Top



9.  How do I find out if I am going to receive AP and/or dual credit?

When you take the AP exam, be sure to have the scores sent to UTSA for evaluation.  Whether or not you receive credit depends largely on the score.  For a list of classes that you can receive credit for, please see  This site shows the criteria used by the Office of Admissions to determine which classes you will receive credit for.  Once the determination has been made, the classes for which you receive credit will show in your ASAP account.  You must accept your AP credit in ASAP in order for it to be applied to your record. To see instructions for accepting AP credit please click on the following link: AP Credit Acceptance Instructions. For dual credit classes, have an official transcript from the college/university offering the credit sent to UTSA.  You will be able to see the classes you received credit for through ASAP.   


Please make sure to alert your CFAC advisor of any AP tests or dual credit courses you have taken.  It is helpful to bring copies of all transcripts and test scores with you to your Orientation.    



Back to Top



10.  Which math class should I take?

Your math choice depends on test scores and major.  In order to go directly into a college algebra class or higher, you must be TSI exempt due to ACT scores, SAT scores, or achieve certain  THEA / Compass / Asset / Accuplacer scores.  To see if you meet this exemption, please view the Math Placement Guide.  Even if you are TSI Met in Math, you may need to take a UTSA Math Placement Test.  If you are not TSI Met in Math, you will need to take either Beginning Algebra (MAT 0203) or Intermediate Algebra (MAT 0213) depending on your placement.  If you are placed in the Beginning Algebra class, you must take MAT 0203 and MAT 0213 before you can take a college level math class.  If your scores allow you to jump into college level math, you have the opportunity to take the Advanced Math Placement Test in order to skip college algebra and go directly into Precalculus (MAT 1093) or Calculus (MAT 1214). 


Different majors also have different math requirements.  If you are majoring in science or engineering, you will need to take Algebra for Scientists and Engineers (MAT 1073) followed by MAT 1093 and MAT 1214.  (Some students may be able to place directly into Precalculus or Calculus.)  Business majors are required to take Algebra for Business Majors (MAT 1033).  You should consult your catalog or degree plan to ensure that you are taking the correct math course(s).  If you are not happy with your math placement, you have the option of taking one alternate test of the same type (Alternate Algebra or Alternate Calculus).    


CAP students:  if you take MAT 1073 in the fall semester, you must take MAT 1093 in the spring semester to meet the CAP requirements.  Also, if you are placed into MAT 0213, you must take MAT 1043 or STA 1053 in the spring semester in order to meet the CAP math requirement.  Under no circumstances should MAT 0213, or MAT 1073 be taken in the spring semester.  If you placed into MAT 0203, then you should contact a CFAC advisor because this placement will not allow you to meet the CAP requirements.  CAP students must also note that MAT 1043 and STA 1053 are not a prerequisite for additional math courses at UTSA.


Please contact a CFAC advisor whenever you have questions about CAP math.      

In a nut shell:

Business Majors:  MAT 1033

Liberal Arts Majors:  MAT 1023, MAT 1043, STA 1043 or STA 1053

Psychology Majors:  MAT 1023 or MAT 1073

Science and Engineering Majors:  MAT 1073 / MAT 1093 / MAT 1214 (MAT 1194 for Biology majors) / MAT 1223 & MAT 2213 (for select majors)

Criminal Justice Majors: Any core mathematics course

IDS Majors (most degrees with Teacher Certification): MAT 1023

Health Majors: MAT 1023 or STA 1053

Kinesiology Majors: STA 1053

Architecture Majors: MAT 1073 / MAT 1093

Interior Design Majors:  MAT 1023

CAP students:  MAT 1073 and MAT 1093 or MAT 1043 or STA 1053 or MAT 1093 or higher from the CAP approved list



Back to Top




11.  Will dropping this class hurt my financial aid?

This is a question that really needs to be answered by the Financial Aid Office – especially if dropping a class changes your status from full time to part time student. 



Back to Top



12.  Should I drop a class?

If you are thinking about dropping a class, please come see one of the CFAC advisors.  It is also recommended that you check with the Financial Aid Office to make sure that dropping a class will not affect your grants/loans/scholarships/etc.  You will also want to find out if your health insurance policy requires you to be a full-time student (12 credit hours or more).  Students who began college in Fall 2007 and after must consider the Six Drop PolicyClick here for more information. 



Back to Top



13.  I know what I want to major in, but I don’t know what I want to do with my degree.

Career Services can help you figure out what you can do with your major.  They can show you career possibilities that you may have not considered.  Plus they have personality and career assessment tools that can help you find the perfect job.   You can visit their website (, go to the Career Services office located in the breezeway between the UC and McKinney buildings, or come to CFAC during the Career Services Walk-in hours.  Please check the CFAC website for the times when the career counselor is available in our office or call 45-5170 for information.


Back to Top



14.  How do I know if a class has a prerequisite?

There are several ways that you can check for prerequisites. 

1).  On the CFAC website (, click on the box that says “got prereqs?” (located towards the bottom of the homepage on the left hand side). 

2).  When looking up the schedule on ASAP, if you click on the course number (i.e. 1023 for WRC 1023), a pop-up will provide the course description and any prerequisite classes needed. 

3).  The UTSA course catalog.

These are not the only ways to check for prereqs, but they are the three easiest methods.         


Back to Top