Expected final date for any new SCORE submission to NIH will be May 25, 2017.
Click here for NIH Frequently Asked Questions regarding enhancing peer review.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CAYUSE SUBMISSION
Enter Proposal Name with type of Grant then title of proposal (ex. SC1-Investigation of Medicinal Purposes of Flora)
- An SC proposal is sent through the following Cayuse routing chain for UTSA/SCORE program review and approval:
- SCORE PD and SCORE Administrative Manager
- After approval by the UTSA/SCORE program, an SC proposal is sent through the following Cayuse routing chain for NIH/SCORE review and approval:
- Department Chair
- Dean (except COS)
- SCORE PD
- CRTS Director
- RSC-College of Sciences
Please remember to give viewing permission to the SCORE Administrative Manager.
Complete the following proposal components:
- SF424 RR [Cover Component]
- RR Performance Sites [Project/Performance Site Locations]
- RR Other Project Information
- Institutional Data - limited to one page and, as per NOT-GM-09-030, should be given under "Other Project Information" - Item 11 "Other attachments."
- RR Key Persons [Senior/Key Person Profile (Expanded)]
- Biosketch must be submitted for ALL Key Personnel listed on budget pages (NOT TO EXCEED 4 PAGES FOR EACH), a Personal Statement, and provide guidelines for the inclusion of references, limiting the list to no more than 15.
- PI must provide previous or current experience supervising URM students in research.
- Budget (not applicable)
- PHS 398 Modular Budget (Modular budgets are required of all SCORE individual applications.)
- RR Subaward Budget Attachment (not applicable)
- PHS 398 Cover Page Supplement
- PHS 398 Research Plan/Strategy – to submit the "New Research Strategy Components," attach the applicable sections of the research plan as listed below:
- Specific Aims
- Significance (previously called Background and Significance)
- Innovation (previously called Research Design and Methods)
- Approach (previously called Preliminary Studies/Progress Report)
- Inclusion Enrollment Report
- Progress Report Publication List
- Human Subjects Sections:
- Other Research Plan Sections:
- Vertebrate Animals
- Select Agent Research
- Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan (not applicable)
- Consortium/Contractual Agreements (not applicable)
(Consortium arrangements are only allowed with SCORE-eligible institutions.)
- Letter of Support
- Research Sharing Plan(s)
- PHS 398 Checklist
- PHS 398 Cover Letter (strongly recommended)
- Proposal Summary
Please review the specific application instructions within your respective SCORE Type (SC1, SC2, or SC3) for additional proposal application requirements.
In past years, proposals submitted to NIH were returned to the PIs because these proposals were determined to be "non-responsive" by NIH. The following are examples of common reasons why SC1, SC2 and SC3 applications have been found to be non-responsive (from NIH Program Update located on the SCORE Website):
- Research proposal outside of the NIH mission
(Click here to access the NIH RePORTER to search for similar grants.)
- Non-compliant with the application forms and instructions (e.g. excessive number of pages)
- Lack of institutional data
- Lack of the PI's developmental objectives
- PIs who are fully developed and thus not eligible to apply for SCORE
- PIs who are not at a SCORE eligible institution
- For SC2 applications, lack of a mentor, his/her biographical sketch, and of explanation of the mentor's role in the PI's development plan
- Co-PIs or co-investigators (which are unallowable)
- Lack of budget page or personnel justification
- Lack of a progress report if a PI has had previous SCORE support
- Lack of an introduction in revised applications
- Applications from institutions not eligible to participate in SCORE
SELECTION OF SCORE PROPOSALS BY THE UTSA SCORE PROGRAM
All research proposals submitted to the UTSA SCORE Program will be reviewed by outside UTSA experts and the SCORE Project Review Committees prior to submission to NIH. Selection of research proposals will be made by the SCORE Program Director based on recommendations from the SCORE Project Review Committee. The criteria of proposal selection will be:
- Strong scientific merit and relevance to research areas of NIH (biomedical and behavioral)
- Strong potentials for the development of faculty and institutional research
- Excellent past record or commitment of training of minority students
- Responsiveness to the NIH-SCORE program announcements (see previous section for examples of non-responsive applications)
The UTSA SCORE Program reviews and approves all new and revised SC proposals for submission to NIH, based on the number of new, pending and funded SC proposals available in a submission cycle (which occurs three times in a calendar year).
Because of the changes in the number of new, pending, and funded SC proposals from one submission cycle to another, the approval of the submission of a SC proposal to NIH for a particulate deadline date CANNOT BE EXTENDED to a subsequent date.
TARGET DATES FOR CURRENT NIH SUBMISSION DEADLINE OF MAY 25, 2017
February 3, 2017
Campus Announcement to all full-time TTR faculty
March 3, 2017
Deadline for Title, Abstract, Specific Aims, Student Training Table, and Proposed funding Mechanism (SC1, SC2, or SC3) by email to: email@example.com
April 5, 2017
Completed proposal submitted through the Cayuse system to UTSA SCORE Program Office by 5:00PM. All proposals will be subject to external/internal reviews.
April 19, 2017
Completion of Internal and External Reviews
April 20, 2017
Announcement of approved SCORE Proposals by UTSA SCORE Program
May 25, 2017
Submission of approved SCORE to NIH