The Extended Studies Program
The Extended Studies Program (ESP) at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) allows non-UTSA students the opportunity to enroll in selected regular undergraduate curriculum courses on a space-available basis.
With a simplified registration process, ESP enrollees enjoy a one-stop registration process administered by the Office of Extended Education. Extended Education staff will assist participants with all aspects of this process, to include obtaining a "class seat" from individual instructors. The decision for admission into a particular course belongs to the course instructor.
ESP is intended for individuals seeking personal and professional development, or for individuals seeking a certificate in a particular discipline sponsored by a UTSA academic department. No degree may be earned through this program.
ESP participants may earn up to 18 credit hours in the program. These hours may be transferred to other higher education institutions, to include UTSA, but only after formal admission and acceptance of these hours are approved/recognized by the accepting university/college of your choice.
ESP participants pay UTSA regular resident or non–resident tuition. Additional ESP fees include registration, parking, "Friends of the Library" card, transcript fees, and other applicable course related fees.
UTSA policies and regulations regarding courses will apply to all ESP students.
- ESP participants are enrolled to UTSA and categorized as transient students. Participants will not receive a valid UTSA ID card.
- The program is not available to regular (matriculated) UTSA students. Students may not cancel their admission to UTSA for purposes of attending ESP.
- The program is not available to students who have been academically disqualified or are under disciplinary suspension or expulsion from UTSA.
- International students can not participate in the program.
Easy Steps To Register for the Extended Studies Program (ESP)
We want to make your Extended Studies Program registration as simple as possible. Paper copies of the application can be found at our office. The easiest way to register for this program is to make an appointment with our office. From there, we can walk you through the application and instruct you on how to best provide payment (checks, credit card). Please call our offices for any specific questions or to make an appointment.
1. Apply. Obtain a copy of the Texas "Transfer, Transient, Former Student" Common Application booklet (You can find this online, come by our office, UTSA Downtown Campus, room BV 1.320, or have one emailed to you by requesting a copy by way of firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Submit. Sign booklet and return to the Office of Extended Education. You may drop it off in person, email it back, or mail it to our office. If you do not drop it off in person, you will need to mail a check in the amount of $60 for the application fee. All checks should be made to UTSA.
3. Choose. Once your ESP admission application is accepted, review and select courses.
4. Pay. Full payment must be made by registration deadline.
The ESP Course Fees
Please note that these fees apply to the Extended Studies Program for academic courses only. They are not additional fees for our other educational offerings such as test prep, IT security professional, or online courses.
Registration fees per hour are based on the UTSA rate plan for the semester. Please review the Traditional Plan Tuition and Fee Schedule available on the Fiscal Services web page. The applicable ESP fees are the Resident Statutory Tuition/Non-Resident Statutory Tuition and Resident/Non-resident Board Designated Tuition.
ESP Registration Fees*
In Addition to Registration Fees
- Parking fees (fees vary with type of pass and when pass is purchased)
- Friends of the Library Card $25
- Records Processing Charge $10
- Applicable specific course related fees
- Late fees apply after Registration deadlines
* These fees are subject to change, however it is our mission to keep information on this website as up-to-date as possible.
Bring signed and completed forms with payment to the Office of Extended Education by registration deadline. We accept checks, MasterCard, Visa and Discover card. Cash is not accepted.
Extended Education is located in the UTSA Downtown Campus, Buena Vista Building, room BV 1.320. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Closed Saturday, Sundays and UTSA recognized holidays.
Payment by Mail
All enrollment forms must be postmarked by or before ESP registration deadline. Send completed enrollment form(s) with check, checks, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover card. Make checks payable to “UTSA”. Cash is not accepted. Mail forms and payment to:
The University of Texas at San Antonio
501 W. César E. Chávez Boulevard, Room BV 1.320
San Antonio, TX 78207-4415
Payment by Phone
We accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover card. Payment by phone will be accepted only if signed and completed enrollment forms have been received by the Office of Extended Education by the enrollment deadline.
The telephone number for Extended Education is (210) 458-2411.
Financial aid is not available.
UTSA rules and regulations will apply to all ESP refunds.
UTSA ID Cards
ESP participants will not be issued UTSA ID cards since they are not "regular" UTSA students.
- If a participant’s credit card payment is declined for any reason, the affected participants’s registration is subject to cancellation without prior notice.
- If the bank returns your personal check unpaid for any reason, your registration is subject to cancellation without prior notification. A $20 fee is charged for all dishonored checks. Also, a $20 administrative fee may be assessed.
Tweets by @UTSA_EE