Chapter 9 - General Provisions
Publication Date: May 30, 2002
Responsible Executive: President
9.16 Use of Alcoholic Beverages
- The Regents' Rules and Regulations, Part One, Chapter VI, Subsection 6.5, specifically prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages on property and in buildings and facilities owned or controlled by the U.T. System or a component. The use of intoxicating beverages is prohibited in classroom buildings, laboratories, auditoriums, library buildings, museums, faculty and administrative offices, intercollegiate and intramural athletic facilities and all other public campus areas. However, the President may waive this prohibition with respect to any event sponsored by the University. An event is considered "sponsored" if a budgeted office or department of the University of Texas at San Antonio is responsible for organizing the event, inviting attendees, and paying expenses related to the event, including the purchase of food and beverages; meetings or events organized and presented by registered faculty, staff, or student organizations are not events sponsored by UTSA. State law relating to alcoholic beverages will be strictly enforced at all times on property and buildings and facilities owned or controlled by UTSA.
- All requests should be made using the Permission To Serve Alcoholic Beverages form. The form should be completed and submitted through the appropriate administrative channels to the appropriate Vice President at least seven (7) work days before the event. The appropriate Vice President will review the form and promptly make a recommendation to the President as to whether the request should be approved.
- The Regents' Rules and Regulations, Part One, Chapter VI, Subsection 6.5
- does not apply to areas that are licensed under state law for the sale and service of alcoholic beverages, or
- to a Special Use Facility used by a noninstitutional individual, group, association, or corporation for purposes permitted by Subsection 6. (10).
- The procedures for joint sponsorship of an event with an outside group and the use of university facilities are outlined in the Handbook of Operating Procedures, policy 8.05, Use of University Facilities by Outside Groups.
- In addition to the restrictions of the Regents' Rules and Regulations regarding alcoholic beverages, the provisions of Section 109.58, Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, and of Sections 45.113 and 45.119 of the regulations of the Alcoholic Beverage Commission permit gifts of alcoholic beverages only to civic, religious, or charitable organizations. The University of Texas at San Antonio does not qualify as such an organization.
- In addition to the Regents' Rules and Regulations, requests must meet the following criteria:
- The event must have a purpose clearly related to the mission of the University of Texas at San Antonio.
- University department must sponsor the event and a departmental representative must be present at the event.
- No alcoholic beverages will be served from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on work days.
- All expenses related to the event including the purchase of the alcoholic beverages must be charged to an account of the sponsoring department. Alcoholic beverages must be charged to the sponsoring department's "30" funds account.
- State laws and regulations relating to the use, sale, or consumption of alcoholic beverages will be strictly observed.
- No alcoholic beverages will be served to anyone under the age of 21.
- A copy of the Permission To Serve Alcoholic Beverages form will also be sent to University Police within five (5) work days before the event. University Police will determine if security personnel will be required. If police personnel are required for the event, the sponsoring department or organization will be assessed fees to pay the personnel.