Chapter 8 - Facilities and University Services
Publication Date: November 2, 2015
Responsible Executive: VP for Student Affairs
8.05 Use of University Facilities by Outside Groups: Joint Sponsorship
I. POLICY STATEMENT
Except as permitted by Sections 8.06, 9.10, and 9.47 of the Handbook of Operating Procedures, the use of property or buildings of the University by individuals who are not students, faculty, or staff; by groups that are not registered student, faculty, or staff organizations; or by associations or corporations for programs or activities must be jointly sponsored by the University and shall be subject to the conditions herein.
This policy establishes guidelines for Joint Sponsored Events.
This policy applies to events, camps, conferences, meetings or programs that take place on any of the UTSA campuses, that occur only after UTSA extends an invitation and that is hosted by a UTSA/Internal Host and an Invited/External Host unaffiliated with UTSA.
IV. WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR THIS POLICY
V. RELATED STATUTES, POLICIES, REQUIREMENTS OR STANDARDS
UTSA or UT System Policies or the Board of Regents' Rules & Regulations
- Board of Regents' Rules and Regulations Rule 80105, Joint Sponsorship of the Use of Building or Property
- Board of Regents' Rule and Regulations Rule 80106, Special Use Facilities
- UTSA Handbook of Operating Procedures (HOP) policy 8.06, Special Use Facilities
- UTSA HOP policy 5.07, Use of University Center Facilities
- UTSA HOP policy 9.10, Solicitation on UTSA Campuses
- UTSA HOP policy 9.36, Tobacco Free and Smoke Free Campus
- UTSA HOP policy 9.47, Use of Residential Conference Centers
Other Policies & Standards
- University Center Events Management, Joint Sponsorship Procedure
If you have any questions about HOP policy 8.05, Use of Facilities by Outside Groups: Joint Sponsorship, contact the following offices:
External Host: Entities unaffiliated with UTSA, groups that are not registered student, faculty, or staff organizations, including outside organizations, associations and corporations that are invited to joint sponsor an event on campus.
Internal Host: The UTSA department/unit sponsoring a joint-sponsored program or activity.
Joint Sponsored Activity: Any event, camp, conference, meeting or program that takes place on any of the UTSA campuses, that occurs only after UTSA extends an invitation and that is hosted by a UTSA/Internal Host and an Invited/External Host unaffiliated with UTSA.
The responsibilities of the involved parties may be found here.
- The program or activity must be upon the invitation of UTSA. The president of UTSA, or his or her designee, must authorize a Jointly Sponsored Activity through an Invitation Letter.
- For joint sponsorship to be appropriate, the implications of the event, program or activity must directly supplement the educational purposes of UTSA.
- UTSA, a public institution established without regard to political affiliation or religious faith, cannot be a joint sponsor for political or sectarian events, activities, programs or gatherings.
- UTSA department/unit sponsoring the program or activity (the "UTSA/Internal Host") will be ultimately responsible for all details of the Jointly Sponsored Activity. A representative of the UTSA/Internal Host must be present at the Jointly Sponsored Activity. The UTSA Communications Office reserves the right to approve all copy for advertising and news releases associated with the Jointly Sponsored Activity. UTSA may require an accounting of the income and expenses directly related to the Jointly Sponsored Activity.
- The scheduling of property, buildings, or facilities for UTSA's programs or activities, especially UTSA academic or academically-related programs or activities, shall always have priority over the scheduling for programs or activities that are jointly sponsored.
- The fees to be paid by the Invited/External Host will be a matter for negotiation in each case and will be specified in the agreement providing for the joint sponsorship. At a minimum, the fees must ensure recovery of all costs incurred by UTSA that relate to the Jointly Sponsored Activity. The offices charged with the responsibility of coordinating the logistic and other details associated with a Jointly Sponsored Activity at each campus can be found at here.
The process for requesting and obtaining approval for a Jointly Sponsored Activity is found here.This website also has links to documents and forms associated with this process.
X. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INITIAL IMPLEMENTATION
XI. FORMS AND TOOLS/ONLINE PROCESSES