Chapter 9 - General Provisions
Publication Date: July 31, 2013
Responsible Executive: VP for Academic Affairs
9.31 State Employment and Selective Service Registration
I. POLICY STATEMENT
As a condition of employment with the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), male employees hired after September 1, 1999 must register with selective service or provide proof of exception.
The purpose of this policy is to notify all applicants and employees of the Texas State law requiring registration for selective service. This policy complies with Texas Government Code 651.005, Requirement of Selective Service Registration or Exemption.
This policy affects all newly hired employees that are 18 through 25 years of age, with a hire date after September 1, 1999. This requirement is applicable to all categories of employees including faculty and student employees, classified employees, administrative and professional employees, temporary and casual employees.This policy is not applicable to new employees that are 26 and older.
IV. WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR THIS POLICY
V. RELATED STATUTES, POLICIES, REQUIREMENTS OR STANDARDS
If you have any questions about HOP policy 9.31, State Employment and Selective Service Registration, contact the following office:
Selective Service Registration: Selective service is a registry maintained by the federal government. This list is used to draw on in case of a national emergency requiring rapid expansion of our Armed Forces.
Final Candidate: Any applicant that is extended a job offer at UTSA is a final candidate. For the purposes of this policy a final candidate does not include current UTSA employees.
Proof of Registration: Proof of registration includes the individual’s selective service registration acknowledgment card or a copy of the individual’s on-line verification screen found on the Selective Service System’s website at https://www.sss.gov.
- Final candidate for employment prior to being hired or no later than first day of employment must:
- Provide proof of selective servie registration, or
- Provide proof of exemption to registration.
- Human Resources Department
- Verify selective service registrations or exemptions.
- Verify selective service registrations or exemptions.
- Verify Registration
- The staff of the Day O.N.E. Office of the Human Resource Department will verify a final candidate’s registration or exemption to the Selective Service Registry. This will be done using the criteria in the table below:
- Applicant should not be permitted to work at all until satisfactory proof of registration or exemption has been provided to UTSA.
All male U.S. citizens born after December 31, 1959, who are 18 but not yet 26 years old, except as noted below:
Members of the Armed Forces on active duty (active duty for training does not constitute "active duty" for registration purposes)
Cadets and Midshipmen at Service Academies or Coast Guard Academy
Cadets at the Merchant Marine Academy
Students in Officer Procurement Programs at the Citadel, North Georgia College and State University, Norwich University, Virginia Military Institute, Texas A&M University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
National Guardsmen and Reservists not on active duty
Delayed Entry Program enlistees
Separatees from Active Military Service, separated
for any reason before age 26
Men rejected for enlistment for any reason before age 26
Civil Air Patrol members
Lawful non-immigrants on visas (e.g., diplomatic and consular personnel and families, foreign students, tourists with unexpired Forms 1-94, or Border Crossing Documents DSP-150)
Permanent resident immigrants (USCIS Form I-551)
Special agricultural workers
Seasonal agricultural workers (H-2A Visa)
Refugee, parolee, and asylee immigrants
Dual national U.S. citizens
Confined Incarcerated, hospitalized or institutionalized for medical reasons
Handicapped physically or mentally
Continually confined to a residence, hospital, or institution
Able to function in public with or without assistance
a: Must register within 30 days of release unless already age 26.
NOTE: To be fully exempt you must have been on active duty or confined continuously from age 18 to 25.
b: Residents of Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands are U.S. citizens. Citizens of American Samoa are nationals and must register when they are habitual residents in the United States. Habitual residence is presumed whenever a national or a citizen of the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Federated States of Micronesia resides in the United States for more than one year in any status, except as a student or employee of the government of his homeland.
NOTE: Immigrants who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after they were 26 years old, were never required to register. Also, immigrants born before 1960, who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after March 29, 1975 were never required to register.
- Any offier of employment to a final candidate is to be considered conditional until the individual has provided proof of registration with the Selective Service or exemption from the requirement. If a candidate for employment is unable or unwilling to provide registration verification, the individual cannot begin employment at UTSA.
- If the required registration has not been done by the first day, the Day O.N.E. staff will have the final candidate complete the registration in order to start employment or continue employment with UTSA.
- If an individual is under the age of 18 when he starts works at UTSA, he must register for selective as soon as possible after the 18th birthday to continue employment with UTSA.
X. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INITIAL IMPLEMENTATION
XI. FORMS AND TOOLS/ONLINE PROCESSES