MARC-U*STAR, RISE, and WSRTP trainees are expected to take the next steps in their educational path either immediately or within a year or so of graduation. Generally, those who fully participate in the programs for two or more years have sufficient training/background that they can enter doctoral programs directly. Below is a list of PhD programs with which the UTSA program has worked closely in the past plus listings of other available programs and several combined Government/Institutional PhD programs. Guides to various ratings of these programs are also provided, although nothing is better than your research mentor's input and visits to the campuses. Links to some MD/PhD programs and Graduate programs are also included.
Those who have an insufficient GPA might choose to enter a Master's program to build a graduate GPA, and those who wish to obtain additional research experience can do the same, or pursue postbaccalaureate training in a Postbacc program. The advantage of Postbacc programs is that they 1) pay the students to do research, and 2) are designed to prepare a student for the doctorate and provide professional development activities and often GRE Preparation. Quite a few schools offer postbacc training. Included is a list of Postbacc programs that former MARC/RISE/WSRTP students have attended and commented about.
Other "Friend" Programs
Individual PhD programs that send solicitations to us
- Bridges to the Doctorate Program - NIH resource of participating institutions
- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation & Bridge to the Doctorate - NSF resource of LSAMP and BD institutions
- NSBRI (was NASA)/Texas A&M - PhD training program in space life sciences
- NSBRI/Harvard-MIT - Bioastronautics PhD program
- Carnegie Website Listings - Universities awarding graduate degrees (Most degrees under CompDoc/MedVet). THIS IS A RESPECTED SITE - not a money-making site.
- GradSchools.com - Graduate School Directory
- Graduate Guide.com - Graduate School Directory
- Pathways to Science - Graduate School Directory
- PhDs.org - Graduate School Directory
- Princeton Review - Graduate School Directory
- GraduatePrograms.com - Student Rankings
- Times World University Rankings - School Rankings
- U.S. News Rankings - School Rankings
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) - NIH resource of participating institutions
- Case Western Reserve - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- National Institutes of Health - Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA/CRTA)
- UTMB Galveston - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- University of Michigan - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- University of Washington & Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Washington University - Extensive Study Program