MARC-U*STAR, RISE, and WSRTP trainees are expected to take the next steps in their educational path either immediately or within a year or so of graduation. Generally, those who fully participate in the programs for two or more years have sufficient training/background that they can enter doctoral programs directly. Below is a list of PhD programs with which the UTSA program has worked closely in the past plus listings of other available programs and several combined Government/Institutional PhD programs. Guides to various ratings of these programs are also provided, although nothing is better than your research mentor's input and visits to the campuses.
Those of you who are unable to immediately pursue doctoral education have several pathways. The most well known is to pursue a Master’s, but you will usually need to take out loans or work many hours being a teaching assistant. However, below are listed several "Bridge" Masters-to-PhD programs that provide funding, student training, Pre-PhD training, and academic support. Students who merely need some additional year of research experience should consider training in a Postbacc program which also provides financial and training support, but is generally limited to one year and does not result in an MS. Included is a list of Postbacc and Bridge MS programs that former MARC/RISE/WSRTP students have attended and commented about.
Other "Friend" Programs
Larger Sponsored Programs
- NIH resource of participating PREP institutions (1 year paid training) - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- NIH resource of participating Bridges institutions (2 years paid training and receive MS training) - Bridges to the Doctorate Program
- National Institutes of Health - Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA/CRTA)
- NSF resource of LSAMP and BD institutions - Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation & Bridge to the Doctorate
- American Physical Society (Physicists) - American Physical Society Bridge Program
- Case Western Reserve - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Fisk University and Vanderbilt University - Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s-to-PhD Bridge Program
- Johns Hopkins University - Chemistry-Biology Interface (CBI) Graduate Program
- UTMB Galveston - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- University of Michigan - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Carnegie Website Listings - Universities awarding graduate degrees (Most degrees under CompDoc/MedVet). THIS IS A RESPECTED SITE - not a money-making site.
- GradSchools.com - Graduate School Directory
- Graduate Guide.com - Graduate School Directory
- Pathways to Science - Graduate School Directory
- PhDs.org - Graduate School Directory
- Princeton Review - Graduate School Directory
- GraduatePrograms.com - Student Rankings
- Times World University Rankings - School Rankings
- U.S. News Rankings - School Rankings