Chapter 2 - Faculty and Academics
Publication Date: June 1, 2011
Responsible Executive: VP for Academic Affairs
2.12 Student Evaluations of Teaching
The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) uses evaluations of a faculty member’s teaching as a means for improving teaching effectiveness and as one element of the annual faculty performance evaluation process. An important component of teaching evaluation is the official UTSA student evaluation of teaching. Students in all organized classes with an enrollment of five or more will complete the official UTSA student evaluation surveys each semester.
The advancement of knowledge through teaching and learning is a primary focus of UTSA’s mission. Student evaluations represent an opportunity for students to provide important feedback to the instructor in accomplishing our mission. The department, college and university also benefit from this feedback as a part of determining and improving the effectiveness of the institution’s instructional activities as well as that of individual instructors.
This policy applies to all UTSA faculty and students, and to faculty and administrators in the departments, colleges and university responsible for the administration of the surveys and for using the results.
WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR THIS POLICY
RELATED STATUTES, POLICIES, REQUIREMENTS OR STANDARDS
UTSA or UT System Policies or the Board of Regents' Rules & Regulations
- Regents' Rule 31102 Evaluation of Tenured Faculty
- UTSA HOP policy 2.10, Faculty Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure, Section V.B.2.c.
- UTSA HOP policy 2.24, Third-Year Review, Section III.A.5
- UTSA HOP policy 2.22, Periodic Performance Evaluation of Tenured Faculty, Section II.3.a
Other Policies & Standards
If you have any questions about HOP policy 2.12, Student Evaluations of Teaching, contact the following offices:
Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
For purposes of this policy the following definitions apply:
Student: A person enrolled in a class on the day the survey is administered
Organized Class: A class assigned in the UTSA Class Schedule to meet on specific day(s), time and location.
Faculty Member: A person who is teaching an organized class or classes at UTSA
Survey: Evaluation form (paper or online) to be completed by students in order to provide feedback about a class
Faculty Advisory Committees: Committees that assist in evaluating faculty members’ performance for merit, promotion and tenure decisions
|Implementation/Enforcement Step||Responsible Office/Officer|
|Administration of the survey||Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness|
|Complete the survey||Students enrolled in organized classes of five or more|
|Distribute results of survey||Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness|
|Use results as part of assessment of teaching effectiveness||The faculty members, Department Chair, Dean, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the President, and appropriate faculty advisory committees|
|Post results to University website in accordance with the Texas Education Code and HB 2504.||Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness|
- The Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness will organize and oversee administration of the student evaluations of teaching.
- The survey will be administered each semester.
- The Faculty Senate has oversight over any modifications to the survey format or process.
- Only organized classes with five or more students will be surveyed.
- Evaluations will be conducted in the second half of the semester.
- The Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness will administer the survey, in accordance with University policy
- The Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness will provide summaries of the survey results to each faculty member whose classes are surveyed.
- The Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness will provide summaries of the survey results to each Department Chair for the faculty in the department, for use by the Chair, the Dean, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the President, and appropriate faculty advisory committees.
- Survey results will be retained by the Office of the Vice Provost for Accountability and Institutional Effectiveness.
- Students enrolled in all organized classes with enrollments of five or more will be asked to complete the survey, but will not be required to complete the survey if they do not wish to do so.
- Summary results will be posted on the UTSA website in accordance with Texas requirements.