Chapter 5 - Students
Publication Date: March 2, 2016
Responsible Executive: VP for Student Affairs
5.03 UTSA Student Publications
I. POLICY STATEMENT
The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) will not exercise control over the format or content of Student Publications, but will regulate distribution on campus. Student Publications will be free of censorship and advance approval of copy, and their editors and managers are solely responsible for editorial and content policies and decisions. Editors and managers of Student Publications will not be subject to arbitrary suspension/expulsion or removal from their positions within a Registered or Sponsored Student Organization (Student Organization) by the University because of student, faculty, administrative, or public disapproval of editorial policy or content. Student Organizations that distribute Student Publications are afforded the same rights and privileges as Student Organizations that do not distribute Student Publications.
This policy outlines UTSA’s relationship with individual students and Student Organizations that produce and/or distribute Student Publications.
This policy applies to individual students, Student Organizations, Student Organization advisors, and Student Organization members/leaders.
IV. WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR THIS POLICY
V. RELATED STATUTES, POLICIES, REQUIREMENTS OR STANDARDS
- UTSA HOP policy 9.37, Peaceful Public Assembly, Section VII Distribution of Literature
- UTSA HOP policy 9.10, Solicitation on UTSA Campuses
- UT System Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents, Rule 80103, Solicitation
- UTSA Student Code of Conduct
- UTSA Student Organization Handbook, Student Organization Relationship Statement
If you have any questions about HOP policy 5.03, UTSA Student Publications, contact the following offices:
Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at 210-458-4136
Office of Student Activities at 210-458-4160
Student Publication: Any publication in any media format produced by a student or a group of students at UTSA.
Student Publisher: Any student or Student Organization that produces a publication for distribution.
Registered Student Organization: A separate, independent entity from UTSA whose membership is composed of UTSA students, or a combination of students, faculty, and staff; which has complied with the registration procedures to be officially registered (granted approval to operate on campus) by the University.Sponsored Student Organization: A Registered Student Organization created by, or in conjunction with a UTSA department to support the ongoing interests of the University community. A Sponsored Student Organization supports the mission of its aligned University department and promotes departmental initiatives. A Sponsored Student Organization has an advisor that is paid by UTSA to specifically advise the organization. Sponsored Student Organizations may receive University funding and are subject to the appropriate university and departmental guidelines, policies, and protocols.
- Students and Student Organizations
- Students and Student Organizations may design, create, publish, and distribute Student Publications.
- Students and Student Organizations are solely responsible for their editorial and content policies and decisions regarding Student Publications.
- All Student Publications will include the following disclaimer prominently displayed: “The University of Texas at San Antonio assumes no responsibility for the contents of this publication. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of The University of Texas System, UTSA, or of UTSA’s faculty, staff or students.”
- With specific permission from its University sponsoring department/division, a Sponsored Student Organization may use the name, seal, and logo of the University in accordance with University policies and guidelines established by the sponsoring University department or division. A Registered Student Organization that is not a Sponsored Student Organization may not use the name, seal, or logo of the University.
- Individual students and members of Student Organizations should be aware of the personal legal liabilities that may result from publishing material not afforded legal protection, including, but not limited to obscene or libelous materials, or publishing materials that are copyrighted.
- Students violating any UTSA policy or regulation are subject to disciplinary action pursuant to the Student Code of Conduct. Any Student Organization violating any University policy or regulation, including distributing or attempting to distribute a publication in violation of University regulations, may be subject to sanctions pursuant to the Student Organization Relationship Statement which can be found in the Student Organization Handbook.
- Faculty/Staff Advisors
Faculty/staff advisors to student organizations that produce Student Publications may provide non-binding advice in regard to content and editorial policy, leaving ultimate decision-making authority regarding content to the organizations’ student leadership.
- Vice President for Business Affairs
A Student Organization wishing to distribute a Student Publication on campus by means of an unattended rack or vending machine must have the advance written approval of the Vice President for Business Affairs in accordance with HOP policy 9.10, Solicitation on UTSA Campuses.
Students and Student Organizations may distribute literature consistent with HOP policy 9.37, Peaceful Public Assembly.
X. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INITIAL IMPLEMENTATION
XI. FORMS AND TOOLS/ONLINE PROCESSES