- Research Skills Course
- Next Steps
- Important Links
|For more information or
to report web problems,
contact Dr. Gail P. Taylor
MBRS-RISE & MARC U*STAR Summer Internships
Listed below are many undergraduate summer research fellowships. There are many separate headings. Included are local programs, programs in government agencies, lists of programs funded by the NSF, lists of programs compiled by individual agencies, common applications, and individual listings of programs that have sent out announcements.
If you want to search on your own, Google the word "research" and add in one of the following acronyms: REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates); SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships), SURP (Summer Undergraduate Research Program), and MURF (Minority Undergraduate Research Fellowships).
Why Participate in a Summer Research Experience?
Participating in a summer research program has many benefits, summarized in the following publication: From Summer Research Participant to Graduate School Contender
- Summer Programs for Undergraduates, High School Students and Teachers
- CSB Department: CPRIT Scholar Summer Program
- Pharmacology Department: Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
- Physiology Department: Physiology Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE)
- Center for Disease Control: Student Summer Employment Program (SSEP)
- Homeland Security - Summer Internship Program.
- Naval Research Laboratory - Summer Internship Program for HBCU/MI Undergraduate Students
- NASA - NSBRI Summer Apprenticeship Program & Morehouse Research Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Campuses - Summer Internship Program (SIP); NIDA (Drug Abuse); Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (multiple schools) PRE MEDS!!; National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases:;
- Smithsonian Institution: Minority Internship Program, National Air and Space Museum, Webb Internship in Business and Pub. Admin.
- USDA: National Institute of Food and Agriculture STEC CAP - MSI Program
- Here is a somewhat out of date list- you can use this to hunt down individual internships or co-ops in industry: http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/private.htm
NOTE: For these we'd work to turn your CV into a Resumé
- Dow Agrosciences: http://www.dowagro.com/careers/internships/lab.htm
- The Endocrine Society: MAP Program; Summer Research Fellowship Program
- The Jackson Laboratory - Summer Internships
- Southwest Research Institute - Summer Employment
Leadership Alliance Universities
The Leadership Alliance is a consortium of 32 of this nation's leading research and teaching academic institutions, including minority serving institutions, all dedicated to improving the participation of underrepresented students in graduate and PhD programs and, ultimately, research professions in the academic, public, and private sectors.
- Summer Research Early Identification Program (SR-EIP)
students can apply for up to 3 of the 22 research sites with one common application
- Baylor College of Medicine: Summer Medical and Research Training Program (SMART)
- Boston University - SURF
- California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech): Amgen Scholars Summer Program; MURF Summer Program.
- Case Western Reserve: SURP-Pharmacology
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center: SURF
- Columbia University: Amgen Scholars Summer Program
- Duke University: SROP
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center: Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP)
- Harvard University: Summer Honors Undergraduate Research Program
- Johns Hopkins University: Diversity Summer Internship Program for Undergraduates (DSIP)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: MIT Summer Research Program (MSRP) & Amgen UROP Scholars Program.
- Northwestern University: Cancer Biology/Biophysics & General SROP & Materials and Engineering REU
- Rutgers University: Research in Science and Engineering
- Sanford Research REU in Cellular and Molecular Biology: Sanford Research and Augustana College
- Stanford University: Amgen Scholars; Stanford Summer Research Program
- University of Buffalo - Climb Up
- University of Alabama at Birmingham: REU in Experimental and Computational Materials Research
- UC Berkeley: Amgen scholars Summer Program; SROP Program
- UCLA: Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research (SPUR); Amgen Scholars
- UC San Diego: Amgen Scholars
- UC San Francisco: Amgen Scholars
- University of Buffalo: iSEED Undergraduate Summer Research Program
- University of Colorado Boulder: Summer Multicultural Access to Research Training (SMART)
- University of Georgia: http://mib.uga.edu/programs
- University of Iowa: Interdisciplinary Summer Research Program
- University of Maryland: Summer Research Initiative
- University of Massachusetts Amherst: SURE in Nanoscale Science and Engineering
- University of Michigan: Biomedical & Engineering & Physiology & Public Health
- University of Nebraska: 2014 Nebraska Summer Research Program
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Summer Undergraduate Research Experience - REU
- University of Oregon: SPUR Life Science
- University of Pittsburgh. MIDAS Center of Excellence SRP; Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center: LearnLab Summer Research Exp; Univ. Pittsburgh at Greensburg SURP.
- University of Rochester Medical Center: STP (Summer Training Program)
- University of Southern California (USC) - Latino Mental Health Research Training in Mexico - MHIRT;
- University of Virginia: Curry School of Education - Education Research
- University of Washington: Amgen Scholars
- University of Wisconsin, Madison: Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP) & Summer Institute for training in Biostatistics; Integrated Biological Sciences Summer Research Program
- UT Southwestern Medical Center: Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) in Biosciences & Quantitative Sciences and Chemistry
- Washington University in St. Louis: Amgen Scholars; Undergraduate Scholars at Genome Institute; BioMedRAP