Skip to Search Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content


Social Security Number/Card for Non-Citizens


All employees of UTSA are paid based on an HR created employment record.  This record is usually initiated using an official Social Security number (SSN) as assigned by the US Social Security Administration (SSA).  If a SSN has not yet been assigned by the SSA, a “temporary” UTSA SSN needs to be created in order to establish an employment record so that an employee can be paid.

First Step - Preparing to visit the SSA

Preparation is required before going to the SSA local office.  Guidance for what is needed based on your Visa category can be found on the International Programs website.

Second Step - Visiting the SSA

Social Security Administration local San Antonio offices:

For additional information please visit the official website of the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Third Step - Making an appointment with Payroll

Once you have received a SSN receipt from the local SSA office, you will need to make an appointment with Payroll so that a temporary UTSA SSN can be issued.  Guidance for this appointment can be found on the Payroll website.

Fourth Step - Receiving your SSN

Your official Social Security card will arrive in the mail approximately two weeks after your visit to the SSA. Once you receive your official card in the mail, you will need to report to Payroll and Human Resources with your new card so that a copy can be made and your employment record can be modified to your official assigned number. Please note that faxes and scanned copies cannot be used to update your records. 


May 18, 2012