Dental Early Acceptance Program (DEAP)
DEAP, also known as the 3 + 4 Program, provides highly qualified students at UTSA with conditional, early acceptance to the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) School of Dentistry. Students admitted to DEAP will earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Biology from UTSA and a Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree at the UTHSCSA Dental School within a seven year period.
While DEAP can provide a wonderful opportunity for some students, it is not a good fit for all students. Therefore, it is important for prospective DEAP students to learn as much as possible about DEAP and about preparing for dental school in general before applying to the program. Admission to DEAP is highly competitive and takes place during the spring semester of a student’s freshman year. The UTSA UHPO requires all interested students to read the information provided on this website and on the links below thoroughly prior to meeting with an advisor.
First, please familiarize yourself with the basic information about DEAP through the DEAP Information Sheet.
Then, read through our frequently asked questions for prospective and current DEAP students.
DEAP students should meet with the DEAP Advisor at their freshman orientation to discuss eligibility. Questions prior to orientation can be directed to email@example.com.
DEAP Information Sessions
Please direct all DEAP questions to our office email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the events tab on the main page for the upcoming DEAP schedule for future semesters.
Students who are interested in participating in DEAP at UTSA must first meet the following criteria to be considered eligible to apply:
- Student must be an admitted and enrolled student at UTSA.
- Student must have completed at least 12 semester credit hours at UTSA and no more than 30 semester credit hours of total college work. Advanced Placement (AP) and dual credit will be considered toward this semester credit hour maximum on an individual basis.
- Student must be able to complete at least 60 semester credit hours at UTSA prior to matriculation to the Dental School through DEAP.
- Student must be in good academic standing with an overall GPA around 3.2 or above.
- Student must be a Texas resident or request a waiver for entry to DEAP from the Associate Dean for Student Affairs at the UTHSCSA Dental School.
In addition to these eligibility requirements, there are some other factors that can affect prospective students’ “fit” for DEAP. Students should meet with a DEAP advisor from the UTSA UHPO for more information.
- Read all information pertinent to DEAP on the UHPO Website.
- Meet with an advisor at the UHPO to discuss DEAP further and create a personalized semester-by-semester for possibly completing undergraduate DEAP requirements within a three-year period.
- Complete or obtain all DEAP application materials, if still desired upon reflection of initial meeting with the UHPO advisor.
- Paper application
- Essay on motivations to enter the dental profession (on paper application)
- Official college transcripts
- Passport-sized photo.
- Meet again with UHPO advisor to submit and review all application materials. The advisor will need to sign and mail all materials to the UTHSCSA Dental School.
- Visit the office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs at the UTHSCSA Dental School for an interview, if invited. Interviews are intended to determine applicants’ motivation for the dental profession, qualities of character, and personality of value as a future dentist.
Upon completing the above admission requirements, students will receive an official letter from the UTHSCSA Dental School stating whether or not they have been accepted to the program. Those who are accepted to DEAP should maintain consistent communication with their UHPO advisor regarding their progress with DEAP. Those who are not accepted to DEAP are encouraged to prepare for traditional admission to dental school and to continue seeking guidance from their UHPO advisor.