Undergraduate Academic Advising
As academic advisors, we commit to UTSA as an institution which promotes lifelong learning and impacts the global society.
UTSA Academic Advisor offer academic advising and guidance to empower students to realize their full potential. The Power of Academic Advising
- Academic advising programs promote insight into academic, social and personal experiences and individual needs.
- Academic advising connects to the academic community to encourage sound academic and personal goals which lead to successful learners.
- Academic advisors serve an interpretive role with students, administration, faculty and staff in a collaborative approach.
- Academic advisors possess the knowledge and skills necessary to teach in an inclusive and innovative manner.
- Students place a great deal of trust in academic advisors.
- Available to meet with advisees during office hours for advising via appointment, walkin, telephone, e-mail, or web access
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, degree/college requirements, graduation requirements, and university policies and procedures
- Serve as advocates for both the student and the university
- Advisors are prepared for students and can provide students with options
- Encourage and guide students as they define and develop realistic academic and career goals
- Encourage and support students as they develop clear attainable educational plans
- Provide students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus
- Assist students in understanding the purpose and goals of higher education and its effect on their lives and personal goals
- Monitor and accurately document students’ progress toward meeting their goals and degree completion
- Assist students in gaining decision making skills and in assuming responsibility for their educational plans and achievements
- Maintain confidentiality of students record and interactions
- Will make an appointment with an advisor once admitted and come prepared for their session
- Will be able to discern their educational goals and make an educational plan that includes courses and extra-curricular activities and service learning opportunities
- Will know their curriculum requirements and tracking their progress towards graduation
- Will know and follow UTSA academic policies, procedures, and deadlines
- Will use ASAP, utilize the Information Bulletin, and the Undergraduate Catalog effectively as information resources
- Will use resources such as Career Services, Testing Services, Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
- Will use advising services effectively by coming prepared for the advising session
- Will be able to navigate the academic technology that is available: CAPP, ASAP, official student email
- Will have an appreciation of the respect, inclusiveness and excellence that UTSA provides
- Be a Life Long Learner