Employee Separation Process
Maintaining a simple, streamlined process for employees who are terminating is important in order to ensure:
- Collection of University property (including keys, ID card, phones, library books and other property) and to settle any financial obligations to UTSA before employee has separated from UTSA.
- Cancellation of network and business expense accounts, ProCard, etc.
Compliance of Federal COBRA notification and entitlements
I. Employing Department's Responsibilities
- When an employee resigns, please obtain written resignation. Then, confirm with an email or letter accepting his/her resignation indicating the effective date using the “Acceptance of Resignation” template.
- IMPORTANT: Though access to many UTSA systems is controlled via the employee’s myUTSA ID and password, the employee may have access to systems which utilize their own authentication systems (such as STARS, Banner and AppWorx). If the employee has access to third-party systems that are not managed by a UTSA system owner (such as Survey Monkey, GoTo Meeting and Facebook), coordinate with the employee to ensure those accounts are disabled, deleted or transferred to another employee.
Please review the employee’s access to UTSA systems and data and ensure appropriate action is taken to terminate access that is no longer necessary. Action may include disabling an account, deleting an account, modifying system privileges or changing passwords to shared accounts. This will reduce the risk of future unauthorized access by the employee or by an individual who gains access to the employee’s accounts.
- Human Resources will notify applicable departments of separation when the department completes a Job Record Data Change Request.
- Complete the form by answering all questions to the best of your ability.
- Please use the comments section for any additional information the Separation Notification Group may need to know.
- Please do NOT include any confidential details of the separation. This form only needs information to separate the employee. Any specific details of the employee’s situation should not be included in this form. If a department requires specific details they may contact the separating department or Employee Relations.
- The distribution list is comprised of the following departments;
- Access Control: x6486
- Banner Support: x6925
- Disbursement and Travel Services Office: x4831
- Fiscal Services: x8000
- OIT Support Services (Help Desk): x5555
- Inventory: x4844
- Library: x7506
- Campus Services – Parking & UTSACard x7275
- Pro Card Compliance Office: x4059
- These departments will respond to the contact listed on the Job Record Data Change Request Form. The employing department contact will then utilize the check-off list on the Separations Processing Checklist; Section I, 3.
- When the employing department receives emailed responses from the SNG regarding the separating employee’s clearance status, please communicate with the separating employee to settle any outstanding obligations.
- Provide the employee with the Benefits Department contact information so they may call and schedule an appointment with a Benefits Representative. Benefits Department may be reached at 458-4250 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Once the employing department has obtained clearance from the SNG, complete and sign the following:
- Section I of the Separation Processing Checklist
- Send form to HR via fax (x4647) or scan and email to email@example.com.
II. Separation Notification Group’s (SNG) Responsibilities
- The SNG will receive an emailed notice of separation of employment from Human Resources. As applicable, the group will handle the following:
- Cancel all accounts associated with the separating employee. If employee is transferring to another UTSA department cancel accounts associated with the losing department only.
- Review their records to determine whether or not there are any outstanding obligations connected to the separating employee.
- Email the employing department’s point of contact the following information as applicable;
- Confirmation that all accounts have been or will be terminated on the effective date of separation
- List of property that needs to be recovered
- Confirmation that the separating employee has outstanding obligations that need to be settled, or is clear of any obligation
III. Human Resources (HR) Department’s Responsibilities
- Meet with separating employee and complete Section II of the Separation Checklist Form as applicable.
- Discuss all benefit issues, including future insurance coverage, payment for unused vacation, etc.
Updated: February 2015