Faculty Senate By Laws
The Faculty Senate shall have its own elected officers, including a Chair of the Senate, a Vice Chair, a Secretary, and a Parliamentarian.
- Chair of the Senate
The Secretary's duties shall include the following:
- The solicitation, preparation, and distribution of agenda items for meetings of the Faculty Senate. This duty shall be carried out by the Secretary as a member of the Executive Committee of the Senate.
- The conduct of elections of officers and others, as necessary, of the Faculty Senate, the preparation of forms and ballots for the nominations and elections, and the certification of election results.
- The preparation, distribution, and maintenance of records of the Faculty Senate.
- The transmittal of recommendations of the Faculty Senate to the President and Provost.
- Any other duties assigned by the Faculty Senate.
- Terms of Offices
The Nominating, Elections and Procedures Committee will conduct the Elections.
The election of the Chair of the Faculty Senate will be held at the April meeting of the Faculty Senate in alternating years. The election of other officers will be held yearly at the May meeting. The Nominating, Elections, and Procedures Committee shall present to the Faculty Senate printed ballots containing slates of candidates.
Elections for Secretary of the General Faculty shall be conducted in the spring of alternate years, according to the following procedures.
- The Nominating, Elections and Procedures Committee shall solicit nominations for the position. A description of the responsibilities of the position shall be presented with the solicitation.
- Those nominated shall provide the Chair of the Nominating, Elections and Procedures Committee with a statement of professional accomplishments and interest in the position, not to exceed two pages.
- Paper or electronic ballots listing the nominees in alphabetical order shall be distributed, along with the nominees' statements, to all eligible voting members of the General Faculty. Votes shall be counted by the Nominating, Elections and Procedures Committee and certified by the Chair of the Faculty Senate. Election shall be by majority vote. If no majority is obtained in the first election, a paper or electronic ballot runoff election will be conducted between the candidates with the two highest vote counts.
- Voting eligibility of faculty will be determined by the definitions contained in the Handbook of Operating Procedures.
- Procedural questions shall be addressed in writing to, and interpreted by, the Parliamentarian of the Faculty Senate.
In the case of Senate elections for the Vice Chair, Secretary, and Parliamentarian and for Senate standing committee members, the Nominating, Elections, and Procedures Committee shall present to the Faculty Senate printed ballots containing slates of candidates at the first regular meeting of the Senate of each academic year. The slate for the Senate Officers should contain at least two nominees for each position.
The Chair of the Faculty Senate is elected from the body of the Faculty Senate. The Chair shall preside over all meetings of the Faculty Senate. The Chair will represent UTSA at the UT System Faculty Advisory Council. The Chair's position as his/her unit's representative will be filled by an alternate who will serve the remainder of the Chair's term. The Chair will vote on actions in the Senate only in the case of a tie.
The Vice-Chair is elected from among the body of the Faculty Senate, and remains a voting representative of his/her academic unit. If the Chair is unable to complete his or her term of office, then the Vice-Chair will assume the Chair's duties for the remainder of the Vice-Chair's term of office, and his or her academic unit will be directed to elect an alternate for the remainder of his or her term as Faculty Senator. A new Faculty Senate Chair will be elected, if necessary, at the next scheduled election.
The Parliamentarian shall rule on points of order with respect to the conduct of meetings.
The term of office of the Chair of the Faculty Senate will be two years; the term of office of the Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Parliamentarian will be one year. The election of the Chair of the Faculty Senate will be held at the April meeting of the Faculty Senate in alternating years. The election of the other officers will be held at the May Senate meeting.
Comments or questions to Sarah Leach