Events & Activities on Campus

Download the chapter pdf.


Events Management is here to assist organizations in the planning of events held on campus.  If you are planning a major event or have no idea what goes into event planning, contact them at 210.458.4155,, or If you reach out directly to other departments regarding an event your organization is hosting, be sure copies of all documents are sent to Events Management at SU 1.02.04, (i.e. academic technology, facilities services, police department, etc.). 

Note: All registered student organizations on-campus events are subject to final approval by the Dean of Students.


Tabling Limitations

When incoming freshman and transfer students are on campus during the summer for Orientation, they are fulfilling a requirement of the University. In order to support this University program and not disrupt the flow of traffic during the program, tabling (for recruitment, fundraising, etc.) or events hosted by student organizations will not be allowed.

Student Organizations cannot table during the following events: Fiesta UTSA, BestFest and Involvement Fair. Student organizations can register to participate in Fiesta UTSA, BestFest, and Involvement Fair.

University Property, Including Tables and Chairs

Student Organizations may not use and/or move existing university property, such as the tables and chairs provided in the Sombrilla or under the McKinney Building Portico, in order to conduct a tabling event. Student Organizations must either check-out a table and/or chairs from Events Management and Conference Services or provide their own tables and/or chairs.

Events During Study Days and Finals

In order to maintain the academic environment needed at the end of the semester, student organizations may not host events during study days and finals. This will allow students to focus on preparing for the end of the semester projects and exams. 


A student organization is eligible to reserve meeting spaces, classrooms, lecture halls, and other approved locations (i.e. intramural fields, Sombrilla, Bill Miller Plaza, outdoor locations, etc.) on the Main Campus, Downtown Campus or Institute of Texan Cultures. To reserve a room or table, go to and click on "Make a Reservation". 


All events that are to take place on campus should be registered and approved on RowdyLink (Includes tabling, programs, events, etc.). Events can be created through the "create events" button the organizations RowdyLink Profile.

Event Policies

Equipment for Events

Special audio or visual equipment, such as overhead projectors, slide projectors, audio equipment, etc. is available to student organizations for events held in on-campus facilities. If needed, such equipment should be requested along with the facility reservation request.

  • For events held in the University Center, special equipment is provided through the University Center Events Management Office.
  • For other locations, the Office of Academic Technology (BB 4.06.28 or FS 2.516) provides special equipment arrangements.  Your faculty/staff advisor must submit the request for equipment at least two weeks prior to the event.

Amplified Sound on Campus

Organization may use amplified sound (i.e., when sound volume is increased by any electric, electronic, mechanical, or motor-powered means) on any UTSA campus at designated times and locations, subject to the rules found in the UTSA Handbook of Operating Procedures, Chapter 9.37, IV: (  Advanced permission is required (see Section B of the above mentioned policy).  Any event or activity determined to be disruptive to any authorized university activity may be stopped or modified, notwithstanding the amplified sound provisions listed in the policy.

Off-Campus Speakers

Only student organizations and faculty/staff organizations may present off-campus speakers in a reserved, fixed indoor location on the Main campus as approved by the Dean of Students or designee. The off-campus Speaker Request Form ( must be submitted to the Events Management and Conference Services Office at least three (3) days prior to the scheduled event. 

Joint Sponsorship

No student organization may jointly sponsor any event on campus with an off-campus person or organization (see

An event is considered a joint sponsorship if any of the following apply to the student organization:

  • Relies on an off-campus person or organization for planning, staffing, funding, advertising or managing the event
  • Advertises the event as jointly sponsored by an off-campus person or organization
  • Operates the event as an agent of, or for the benefit of, an off-campus person or organization, except for solicitation of charitable contributions in accordance with applicable university policies
  • Distributes any proceeds of the event to an off-campus person or organization, except for: charitable contributions or payment for goods or services.
  • Reserves a room or space for the use of an off-campus person or organization

The following facts do not, in and of themselves, indicate a prohibited joint sponsorship:

  • Endorsing an off-campus person or organization or its message.
  • Selling, distributing, or displaying literature prepared by an off-campus person or organization or containing contact information for an off-campus person or organization.
  • Purchasing goods or services from an off-campus provider.
  • Inviting a guest speaker.
  • Funding from a non-University entity to support an event.


The purpose of this statement is to educate the campus community on the responsibility one must take when holding public viewings of films, slideshows, videos, DVDs or any other licensed production.

Intention of US Copyright Laws:  Copyright laws are intended to protect the rights and interests of authors and artists, to protect their due credit and financial compensation for their works against piracy, against other people stealing their deserved credit and profits.  Copyright laws are also intended to protect the licenses and patents belonging to inventors and entrepreneurs.

Items that are protected under US Copyright Laws: (1) literary works; (2) musical works, including any accompanying words; (3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music; (4) pantomimes and choreographic works; (5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works; (6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works; (7) sound recordings; and (8) architectural works.  (Source: Library of Congress – US Copyright Law; ).   For information about getting permission to use copyrighted materials (papers, images, movies, music, etc.) visit: .

Procedures to follow for Public Viewings:  Student organizations may sponsor slide shows, videotapes, DVDs or films on campus.  In addition, they must either (a) receive written permission from the copyright owner to hold a public viewing or (b) pay for the use of the public viewing using a distributor (see below).  Simply purchasing or renting a slide show, videotape, DVD or film from a store or checking one out from a library does not comply with copyright laws.

Distributors/Licensing Corporations:

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation

New Yorker Films

Swank Motion Picture

Event Food Policies

Potlucks at Meetings

Potlucks are acceptable if you have consent of all participating members of the group.  There may be limitations on where potlucks can be held; when reserving the space ensure that it is acceptable to have this type of event in the space.

Catering Guidelines

An approved caterer must do any catering done on campus. For a full list of the approved caterers go to and click on "Catering".

Delivered Food or Fast Food

If "fast food" is not being "catered", served to a group on site, is prepared before delivery and is not served by the company, then the catering policy does not apply.

Tailgating On Campus

Any food prepared during a tailgate can only be distributed to the group's friends and family. You must also make proper accommodations for a sand trap through the Physical Plant 210-458-4260.  No propane tanks are allowed on campus.