Latest information on operational modifications for fall 2021 Roadrunner Roadmap

Navigating Concerns

Academic Concerns

  • Students who have concerns that are academic in nature are encouraged to make every attempt to resolve their situation at the faculty level.
  • If their concerns cannot be rectified, they have the option of appealing to the appropriate Department Chair and then to the Dean's Office if necessary.
  • If a student does not agree with the final decision made at the College level, undergraduate students have the option of appealing outside the College to the Senior Vice Provost and Dean of University College while graduate students would appeal to the Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School.

Non-Academic Concerns

  • If concerns are non-academic (program and/or service related), a concerted effort should be made to work out the situation with the employee/staff member.
  • Next, students would have the option to appeal to the director, supervisor or manager of a particular department/office and then to the respective assistant, associate or senior vice president regarding their concerns.
  • If necessary, final appeals would then be made to the appropriate vice president.



Students have the option of addressing their circumstances by utilizing reporting and/or formal grievance channels at the University. Some of these pathways include the following:

Any concerns involving discrimination against or harassment based upon a protected class and students who are victims of sexual harassment, sexual violence or intimate partner violence should be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity Services, while violations of the Student Code of Conduct should be filed with Student Conduct and Community Standards. Any concerns or actions that you believe may pose a risk of harm or danger to self or others should be directed to the Behavioral Intervention Team.