Skip to Search Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content

Employee Separation Checklist

Employee Guidelines


Use this checklist as a comprehensive guideline for separating from The University of Texas at San Antonio. It provides you with resources, links and points of contact to complete this process.


Once you submit your letter of resignation, you can begin the separation process. The following items need to be addressed:

  1. Timesheets - Make sure all your timesheets are up to date in PeopleSoft.

  2. Employee Self Service. Be sure to update your contact information. We may need to contact you and/or send your W-2 and/or IRS Form 1095c. Having that information available will be critical to that process.

  3. Current Benefit Programs: Your medical benefits expire on the last day of the month in which you separate employment.

  4. COBRA Insurance: You will receive a COBRA Election Notice and Application from UT Benefits Billing after your insurance ends. Please allow two weeks from the end of the month from which you separate to receive the email. For more information about COBRA, including a cost breakdown, visit the COBRA Coverage webpage. 

  5. Accrued Leave:
    1. Vacation
      1. Vacation Payout: An employee who separates from state employment and who has been employed continuously for six months or more shall be paid in lump sum for all accrued, unused vacation leave up to the maximum allowed. Vacation payouts occur 30 days after the employee’s final paycheck.
      2. Employees can defer unused vacation hours into retirement savings. UTSaver Deferred Compensation Plan Purchase Agreement must be emailed to the  Benefits Department no later than your final day of employment. For more information please visit the UTSaver DCP Vacation Deferral website
    2. Sick Leave
      1. Sick leave hours are not eligible for pay out.
      2. Employees can donate their sick leave hours to the sick leave pool without tax implications.
      3. Donating Sick Leave Pool hours
      4. Sick Leave Pool Donation form

  6. Transferring to another institution of higher education or state agency? Ensure that you email that agency's state transfer form to  People Excellence.
    1. Transfers occurring without a break in service:
      1. Vacation and sick leave accruals transfer to the receiving agency/institution.
      2. Transfers within UT System result in a continuation of current medical benefits (medical, dental, vision, flex, etc.).

  7. Coordinate with your department administrator to return the following:
    1. UTSA Keys
    2. UTSA ID Card
    3. UTSA Property/Equipment

  8. Parking
    1. To return hangtag and/or garage cards, contact Campus Services / Parking at 210-458-7275.
    2. Pay any outstanding tickets or fines that you have.
    3. Retrieve any refunds for pre-paid parking.

  9. Campus Recreation - Contact Campus Recreation to cancel membership (if applicable).



March 2021


Employee Separation

Contact UTSA Office of People Excellence
(210) 458-4250