Points of Pride
Business Affairs continually seeks innovation and improvement. We are proud to celebrate the achievements and awards of both individuals and teams within our division.
- Public Safety Employees of the Month
- June 2023: Officer Joshua Van Meter and Ryan Troxell
- July 2023: Monica Perez
- August 2023: Michael Sullivan
- September 2023: Sierra Sullivan
- October 2023: Jose Samaniego
- Officer Joe Waelbroeck completed the required training to be a System Rapid Response Team Operator. Officer Waelbroeck was presented with the silver SRRT badge on behalf of the UT System Director of Police, Michael Heidingsfield for his skill, commitment, and service to the UT System of Police.
- Mary Hernandez was accepted into the 5th cohort of HACU’s La Academia de Liderazgo / Leadership Academy.
- Captain Thomas Calucci presented at the National Association of Behavioral Intervention and Threat Assessment Conference (NABITA) on how law enforcement collaborates with Behavioral Intervention Teams and on how cumulative strain contributes to targeted violence in schools.
- Elizabeth Rodriguez-Santo achieved the Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) designation from the International Association of Emergency Managers.
- John DeLaHunt achieved the Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS) designation from National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
- Andrea Aguirre completed the Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) course.
- Charles Medellin achieved the designation of Certified Fire Inspector from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP).
- Cory Garcia began serving as Vice Chair for UT System Emergency Managers Committee and as the Community of Practice Lead for Emergency Managers in Higher Education (Campus Safety, Health, and Environment Management Association (CSHEMA).
- Tomeka Pierce is graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Administration & Policy.
- Louie Rodriguez successfully completed a Change Management Certification Program earning the distinction of being a Prosci Certified Change Practitioner.
- Shelly Crofford was selected in December 2023 as the newest board member for the CUPA HR Lone Star Chapter.
- Bryanda Dominguez achieved the Certified Personal Training designation from the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) in December 2023.
- Congratulations to the following employees on their recent promotions:
- Melanie Vigil – Benefits and Leave Lead
- Sandra Herrera – Quartermaster for UTSA Public Safety
- Leo Flores – Access Control Lead for UTSA Public Safety.
- John DeLaHunt – Assistant Director, Risk, Occupational, Environmental Health and Safety (ROEHS)
- Scott Swetnam – Occupational and Construction Safety Specialist
- Andrea Aguirre – Environmental Safety Technician
- Charles Medellin – Deputy Fire Marshal for UTSA
- Cory Garcia – Interim Manager of Business Continuity and Emergency Management
- Linda Irshid – Business Continuity and Emergency Management Coordinator
- Sabina Cardenas – Program Manager for OREM
- Tom Converse – Access Control III-Security Project Coordinator
- Jose Lopez – Access Control Assistant I
- Business Affairs celebrates our Student Employees:
- Congratulations to Melany Guerra from the Business Affairs Strategic Communications team who is graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Archaeology and Art History and Criticism.
- Congratulations to Ryan Gibson who worked as a student intern in Administration and Operations during the fall 2023 semester who graduated this December with his Master's degree in Business Administration.
Department Awards & Certifications
- The UTSA Police Department received over $450 in funds to purchase evidence storage containers from the Texas Association of Property and Evidence Inventory Technicians (TAPEIT). Thank you Sgt. Weber for assisting with requesting and receiving the funding.
- UTSA Public Safety successfully completed their annual review of the Department's accreditation files. The department was in full compliance with the accreditation standards reviewed. Thank you to Gene Garcia and Belinda Hernandez for your efforts.
- UTSA Public Safety was awarded over $2,000 in funds from the City of San Antonio for expenses related to 2022 National Night Out.
- The UTSA Police Department celebrated their 50th Anniversary. Thank you to Chief Schoenborn, Asst. Chief Angel Lemmonds, Annette Parker, Jessenia Skelton, Douglas Sonego, Captain Thomas Calucci, Lt. Shawn Smith, Lt. Jovany Vega, Monica Perez, and others for a wonderful celebration!
- UTSA Public Safety's National Night Out event was recognized as a 2023 award winner for colleges and universities.
- Administration and Operations' Lee Meyers and Andrea Chavez completed year one of the College Business Management Institute (CBMI) program.
Enhancing Our Campuses
View Campus Enhancements
- The Occupational Health Clinic was moved from the Bauerle Garage to the SSFF building at West Campus.
- The Park West Field House officially opened in July 2023 to support UTSA student-athletes.
- UTSA broke ground on San Pedro II in October 2023, highlighting connections to San Antonio’s technology workforce.
- In October 2023, UTSA broke ground on Blanco Hall, underscoring the university’s growth and commitment to student success.
- In July 2023, Mark Hogensen installed the second mural on San Pedro I, titled “Discovery Enterprise”
- UTSA relocated the O. Henry House to 702 Dolorosa Street, where permanent foundations will be built for this historic structure.
- The Real Estate and Property Management team received an 11.7 million dollar TxDOT grant with Lani May as the lead on the project.
Service to the UTSA Community
View Community Services
- UTSA Public Safety hosted the annual National Night Out on the Student Union Paseo. The event was well attended by students. The event featured DJ Gumby and a photo booth. Many Public Safety personnel were in attendance handing out pizza and paletas. Information on personal safety was given out and other departments on campus were on hand to give out their departmental information.
- The Office of Risk and Emergency Management (OREM) supported the response to several incidents during this time period, including a bomb threat and a controversial speaker.
- The Office of Risk and Emergency Management (OREM) delivered a variety of training to partners across campus including CPR/AED, Floor Captain Program, and fire safety procedures.
- Administration and Operations donated the greatest amount of food per team member to the Roadrunner Pantry during the Business Affairs Fall Food Drive!
- Staff Senate's Touchdowns for Tuition initiative, in its induction year, successfully raised $497.00 for staff scholarships!
- Together, all areas in Business Affairs hosted a Fall Food Drive collecting over 600 pounds of food and essential items benefiting the Roadrunner Pantry.
Business Affairs congratulates our recent retirees!
- Kenneth Coleman
- Public Safety
- Years of service: 2014-2023
- Diana Macias Ollervidez
- Financial Affairs
- Years of service: 2009-2023
- Paul Duke
- Financial Affairs
- Years of service: 2006-2023
Submit Your Points of Pride
If you would like your good news announced and have photos or stories you would like considered for Points of Pride or our social media channels, please email VPBAOffice@utsa.edu