Points of Pride
Business Affairs continually seeks innovation and improvement. We are proud to celebrate the achievements and awards of both individuals and teams within our division.
- Public Safety Employees of the Month
- January 2023: Melody Erickson
- February 2023: Sgt. Eric Weber
- March 2023: Tom Converse
- May 2023: Sgt. Robert Major
- Sergeant Robert Major was recognized as Patrol Employee of the semester for spring 2023
- Officer Charles Speck was recognized as the University of Texas System Police Featured Officer of the Month for March 2023.
- Chera Finkbiner received the Leadership Award at this year’s University Excellence Award (UAE) ceremony.
- Josh Gerken from the Campus Planning team was recognized for his accomplishments by the San Antonio Business Journal as a 40 Under 40 honoree.
- Hunter Pfeiffer’s capstone team won the UTSA Embrey Real Estate, Finance and Development Program’s CCIM Vogel Development Competition through the UTSA Alvarez College of Business.
- Team members from Real Estate, Construction and Planning obtained OSHA 30 certifications:
- Jonathan Jarrell
- Tyler Boehme
- Matt May
- Vanessa Carter
- Team members from Real Estate, Construction and Planning obtained certification as Storm Water Inspectors – Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System.
- Matt May
- Vanessa Carter
- Cameron Robinson
- Business Affairs celebrates our Student Employees:
- Congratulations to Hunter Pfieffer from the Real Estate, Construction and Planning team graduating with his degree in Real Estate Finance. Hunter is joining the RECaP team as a full-time employee this spring after serving as an intern.
- Congratulations to My Lee from the Campus Planning team on being offered a position with an Architectural design firm, MP Studio, and on studying abroad in Italy next semester as a Sophomore.
- Congratulations to Bianca Garcia from our Parking Services team for graduating with her bachelor’s in Medical Humanities with a concentration in Pre-Advanced Practice Provider.
- Congratulations to Jacquelyn Gomez from our Campus Services team graduating with a bachelor’s in Digital Communications with a minor in Marketing.
- Congratulations to Savannah Quinonez from the Campus Services team graduating with her Bachelor of Arts.
- Congrats to all of our Business Affairs quarterly award winners! Learn more about our quarterly awards program on the awards and recognition website.
Department Awards & Certifications
- Leo Flores and Tom Converse from the Public Safety team were awarded the Valued Partner Award from the College of Science for providing excellent customer service and support on behalf of Security Services. They were invited to attend the inaugural College of Science Staff Awards Luncheon in recognition of their outstanding efforts as campus partners.
- Marie Kuehler, Tracy Gomez, Ron Fosmire, Patty Martinez, and Kris Cox from the People Excellence team were recognized by the College of Science and received a Valued Partner Award for continued support and partnership.
- The Real Estate, Construction and Planning team was recognized when the RACE Building Project won Silver at the ACEC Awards.
- Michael Rodriguez, Jamal Jackson, Daniela Trevino, Phyllis Rosenfield, and Matthew Elliott from the Real Estate, Construction and Planning department were all awarded the Valued Partner Awards from the College of Science for continuous support and partnership with the college.
- George Morales and Ramon Rios from the Facilities team were awarded the Valued Partner Awards from the College of Science for continuous support and partnership with the college.
- The Office of Sustainability Mobile Bike Shop won the San Antonio regional 2022 Innovative Transportation Solutions Award.
- The UTSA Space Management team received a 5 out of 5 result on the recent Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) facilities audit.
Enhancing Our Campuses
View Campus Enhancements
- The Real Estate, Construction and Planning team successfully opened UTSA’s newest building – San Pedro I – on January 9, 2023.
- The UTSA Facilities operations and maintenance team were able to successfully paint the entire first floor of the Science and Engineering Building on one day’s notice for a ceremony being held there.
- The UTSA Facilities team commissioned and licensed our new recruitment trailer for UTSA.
Service to the UTSA Community
View Community Services
- The Campus Services Parking Enforcement Team put in extra hours during the week and a half long city-wide Fiesta. It was all hands on deck at the Downtown Campus, monitoring and assisting permit holders.
- A team consisting of members from the Recovery Operations team (Dr. Beth Wichman, Kareem Salama, and Debbie Mendez) along with Jolyn Dominguez from Occupational Health, have completed distribution of over 12,000 free at-home COVID-19 test kits.
- Fourteen students participated in a 10-mile Family Ride discounted through the Office of Sustainability during the L'Etape San Antonio by Tour de France.
- The Office of Sustainability distributed 19 car seats at the SIT! Safe Infants and Toddlers Event on April 22, 2023.
- The Office of Sustainability worked to add additional crosswalk signs to Brenan Avenue in February 2023.
- The Office of Sustainability participated in Basura Bash on February 18, 2023, doing trash clean up at Maverick Creek with 51 volunteers.
- The Office of Sustainability partnered with the Student Government Association on an Earth Day event on April 17, 2023.
- The Office of Sustainability hosted Bike Check Events on March 29 and April 26 where bike shop mechanics assisted students with routine maintenance check including checking brakes, replacing brake lines, and cleaning chains.
- The Disbursements & Travel Services (DTS) team went for a wellness walk on campus and donated items to the Roadrunner Pantry.
Business Affairs 2022-2023 Employee Highlights
Spring 2023 Photo Gallery
Submit Your Points of Pride
If you would like your good news announced and have photos or stories you would like considered for Points of Pride or our social media channels, please email VPBAOffice@utsa.edu