Chapter 4 - Personnel - General
Publication Date: November 5, 2013
Responsible Executive: VP for Business Affairs
4.04 Salary of Individuals Holding Both Faculty and Administrative Assignments
I. POLICY STATEMENT
The administrative compensation received by individuals who hold both faculty and administrative assignments/appointments is not related to the academic salary rate. Compensation for administrative assignments is set pursuant to the procedures set forth below.
This policy sets guidelines for establishing administrative salary rates for persons holding both a faculty and administrative assignment/appointment at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).
This policy applies to employees at UTSA that hold both a faculty and administrative assignment/appointment. Exceptions to this policy may be authorized by the President under unusual circumstances.
IV. WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR THIS POLICY
V. RELATED STATUTES, POLICIES, REQUIREMENTS OR STANDARDS
UTSA or UT System Policies or the Board of Regents' Rules & Regulations
- UTSA HOP policy 1.02, Appointment of Academic Administrators: Deans and Department Chairs
- UTSA Provost Faculty Resources Faculty Compensation Guidelines (Memo)
If you have any questions about HOP policy 4.04, Salary of Individuals Holding Both Faculty and Administrative Assignments, contact the following office:
Office of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Administrative Assignment: A staff position responsible for administrative (non-faculty) functions.
- Appoints and determines the administrative salary of the vice presidents and other employees/officers who report directly to him/her.
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Appoints and approves faculty members in an Administrative Assignment within Academic Affairs.
- Authorizes the administratiave salary rate for Administrative Assignments within Academic Affairs.
- Other Vice Presidents
- Appoints and approves employees into Administrative Assignments within the Vice President’s unit.
- Authorizes the administrative salary rate for Administrative Assignments within the Vice President’s unit.
This policy applies to faculty holding administrative assignments/appointments.
- Appointment of faculty to an Administrative Assignment outside the division of Academic Affairs must be approved by the provost.
- The administrative salary rate (12-month rate) for newly appointed administrators will be determined by the executive officer making the appointment.
- After the first year in an Administrative Assignment, the administrative portion of the individual’s salary will be based on the individual’s supervisor’s evaluation of the duties and responsibilities of the Administrative Assignment, and on the performance of the individual.
- The academic salary rate (9-month rate) will be based on the individual's academic qualifications and will be determined by using the same criteria as are applicable in determining the salary rate of other faculty members.
- The administrative salary rate (12-month rate) and the academic salary rate (9-month rate) are not related.
- The appointment of a UTSA faculty member to any Administrative Assignment may release funds to his/her academic unit that may be used to employ a temporary faculty.
- Only on the express written authority of the president can an additional permanent faculty member be appointed.
- The salary attributable to the Administrative Assignment terminates when the individual leaves that Administrative Assignment.
- Exceptions to this policy may be authorized by the president under unusual circumstances.
X. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INITIAL IMPLEMENTATION
XI. FORMS AND TOOLS/ONLINE PROCESSES