The Medical Laboratory Science Early Acceptance Program (MSLEAP) is a partnership between the University of Texas at San Antonio and UT Health San Antonio (UTHSA) that allows undergraduate students to earn a Bachelor of Science degree from UTSA and a Master of Science in Medical Laboratory Science from UTHSA in five years instead of six. Students in the 3+2 program will spend three years at UTSA, majoring in either biology, microbiology/immunology or chemistry. After completing the program requirements at UTSA, students will then matriculate to the UTHSA School of Health Professions to complete a two-year curriculum there. The program prepares students for a career as medical lab scientist.
For UTSA students to apply and be admitted to the MLSEAP, students must meet the eligibility factors listed below:
- Be a full-time UTSA student majoring in Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology; Bachelor of Science Degree in Microbiology/Immunology or Bachelor of Arts Degree in Chemistry;
- Have completed at least 12 semester credit hours (SCH) of coursework at UTSA in their program of study;
- Have not earned more than 60 semester credit hours (SCH); and
- Have a minimum overall UTSA GPA ≥ 3.0 and a GPA ≥ 3.0 in all college science/math coursework (unless only one science or math course has been taken).
For students to maintain eligibility in the MSLEAP, students must complete the first three years of the curriculum in either the BS in Biology or Microbiology/Immunology program or the BA in Chemistry program, including the core curriculum requirements at UTSA with an overall GPA ≥ 3.0 and a cumulative GPA ≥ 3.0 in all science coursework.
Step 1: Submit an application between August 15 and April 30.
Please contact The Health Professions Office for MLSEAP Application
NOTE: Applications have to be submitted by students on or before the completion of 60 SCH at UTSA in the student's program of study.
Step 2: Applications and support materials will be reviewed by the MLSEAP selection committee, which consists of faculty from UTHSA and UTSA. In addition to the academic criteria listed above, the following may be considered in selecting students for admission to the MLSEAP.
- Work experience,
- Honors and awards,
- Extracurricular activities,
- Interest in health professions, and
- Community/volunteer service.
Step 3: Selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview with members of the MLSEAP selection committee. The purpose of the interview is to assess the student’s interpersonal and communication skills, motivation, knowledge about the health profession, maturity, character and personality. Interviews will be held in April.
Step 4: Applicants will be notified about the selection committee's decisions during the first week of May. Students that are accepted to the program must commit to the MLSEAP by July 1 of the same year.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or call (210) 458-5185.