Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Degree
Pharmacists dispense medications prescribed by physicians, dentists, and other authorized medical practitioners. They have knowledge of the use, composition, therapeutic and adverse effects of medications. They review patient medications for interactions with other drugs, food, and diseases to help ensure optimal medication regimens with minimal complications or side effects.EXPLORE THIS CAREER
UTSA does not offer a degree for Pharmacy. Students can complete their pre-requisites toward Pharmacy school application.
|Semester Pharmacy Pre-requisite Course Sequence Guide||Activity Log Template|
Timeline for pharmacy school applicants. This timeline is subject to change based on students’ competitiveness and readiness to apply.
Before applying to a pharmacy programs, schools will expect you to establish academic readiness through undergraduate coursework. Veterinarian schools have specific coursework that is required for admission.
Research the requirements of the schools where you plan to apply as course requirements will and can vary from school to school. You can consult the individual Pharmacy school websites for information on admission requirements.
Common Coursework Requirements for Texas Pharmacy Programs
The below science and math courses are common among each individual Pharmacy program; students should check individual websites for additional course pre-requisite requirements.
BIO 1203 + BIO 1201(lab) and
BIO 1223 + BIO 1221 (lab) (*new course numbers effective fall 2022)
CHE 1103 + CHE 1121 (lab) and
CHE 1113 + CHE 1131 (lab)
Organic chemistry requirements
CHE 2603 + CHE 2612 (lab) and
CHE 3643 + CHE 3652 (lab)
PHY 1603 + PHY 1611 (lab) or
PHY 1943 + PHY 1951 (lab)
Statistics (Approved courses)
STA 1053 or STA 1403 or PSY 2073
Calculus: MAT 1214 or MAT 1193
* BIO 1404 and BIO 1414 (previous Biology course numbers still meet approved Biology pre-requisites)
- Pharmacy for me
- American Association for Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
- Texas Pharmacy Schools - see below links
- UT Austin
- University of Houston College of Pharmacy
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Jerry H. Hodge School of Pharmacy
- UNT Health Science Center College of Pharmacy
- University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy
- Texas Southern University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Texas A&M Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy
- UT Tyler Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy
- UT El Paso School of Pharmacy