DEAP, also known as the 3+ 4 Dental Early Acceptance Program, provides highly qualified students at UTSA with conditional, early acceptance to the University of Texas Health San Antonio (UTHSA) School of Dentistry. Students admitted to DEAP will earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Biology from UTSA and a Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree at the UTHSA Dental School within a seven year period.
While DEAP can provide a wonderful opportunity for some students, it is not a good fit for all students. Therefore, it is important for prospective DEAP students to learn as much as possible about DEAP and about preparing for dental school in general before applying to the program. Admission to DEAP is highly competitive and takes place during the spring semester of a student’s freshman year.
Target audience: H.S. Students who are first-year new admits to UTSA and who want to attend UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry to become a dentist. Please familiarize yourself with the basic information about DEAP through the UTHSA DEAP website and Read through our FAQ.
Admitted UTSA students who are interested DEAP students will have the opportunity to meet with the DEAP advisor during New Student Freshman Orientation.
Prospective students should plan to attend UTSA Day to attend the Health Profession Office Information Session.
Students who are interested in participating in DEAP at UTSA must first meet the following criteria to be considered eligible to apply:
- Student must be an admitted and enrolled student at UTSA.
- Student must have completed at least 12 semester credit hours but no more than 30 semester credit hours at UTSA.
- Students exceeding 30 overall semester hours due to Advanced Placement or Dual Credit courses are reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Student must be able to complete at least 90 semester credit hours at UTSA prior to matriculation to the Dental School through DEAP.
- Student must be in good academic standing with an overall and science GPA around 3.4 or higher.
- Student must be a Texas resident and U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
In addition to these eligibility requirements, there are some other factors that can affect prospective students’ “fit” for DEAP. Students should meet with a DEAP advisor from the HPO for more information.
When to Apply
Applications for DEAP consideration are due the spring semester in your first year at UTSA.