Pre-Physician Assistant Pathway
Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) Degree
Physician Assistants provide a wide range of healthcare diagnostic and treatment services under the supervision of physicians. Their duties may include taking medical histories, performing physical examinations, ordering laboratory tests and writing prescriptions, treating minor injuries, assisting in the operating room.EXPLORE THIS CAREER
Timeline & HPO Resources
UTSA does not offer a degree for Physician Assistant Studies. Students can complete their pre-requisites toward PA school application.
|Semester Pre-requisite Course Sequence Guide||Activity Log Template|
Timeline for physician assistant school applicants. This timeline is subject to change based on students’ competitiveness and readiness to apply.
Before applying to a Physician Assistant Studies program, schools will expect you to establish academic readiness through undergraduate coursework. Physician Assistant schools have specific coursework that is required for admission.
Research the requirements of the schools where you plan to apply as PA course requirements will and can vary from school to school. You can consult the individual PA school websites for information on admission requirements.
Common Coursework Requirements for Texas PA Programs
The below science and math courses are common among each individual PA program; students should check individual websites for additional course pre-requisite requirements.
BIO 1203 + BIO 1201 (lab) and
BIO 1223 + BIO 1221 (lab) (*new course numbers effective fall 2022)
MMI 3713 + MMI 3722 (lab) (previously BIO 3713+3722)
Anatomy & Physiology
BIO 2053 + BIO 2051 (lab), and BIO 2063 + BIO 2061 (lab)
CHE 1103 + CHE 1121 (lab);
CHE 1113 + CHE 1131 (lab);
CHE 2603 + CHE 2612 (lab)
Statistics (approved courses)
STA 1053 or STA 1403 or PSY 2073
*BIO 1404 and BIO 1414 (previous Biology course number still meet approved Biology pre-requisites)
- Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA) Program Directory
- American Academy of PAs (AAPA)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Texas PA Schools - see below links
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Hardin Simmons University
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Southwestern School of Health Professions
- University of North Texas HS Center Ft Worth
- University of Texas HS Center at San Antonio
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- University of Mary Hardin Baylor