If I am a transfer student, am I still eligible for DEAP?
Usually not. DEAP is for first-time full-time freshman students. Because the DEAP application process takes place in the Spring semester, students must complete at least one full semester at UTSA in the Fall. However, students with unique circumstances can consult the UHPO advisors to determine if they can apply. Often transfer students will exceed the 30 hour maximum and will not be able to apply to DEAP for that reason.

I spent a year at a community college, but only took developmental coursework and/or coursework unrelated to the Bachelor’s degree in Biology. Am I still eligible for DEAP?
No. Although developmental coursework would not count toward your Bachelor’s degree, it will be considered toward the maximum 30 college credit hour eligibility requirement for DEAP. Additionally, because undergraduate DEAP requirements are intended to be completed within a three year period beginning from your first semester as a college student (regardless of where you begin your courses), you must begin taking math and science courses that will count toward the Bachelor’s degree in Biology during your very first semester. If you were to take courses unrelated to the Bachelor’s degree in Biology during your first full year in college, it would be impossible for you to complete all undergraduate DEAP requirements within a three year period.

Am I eligible for DEAP if I’ve completed a previous Bachelor’s degree?
No. DEAP is only intended for first-time college students.

I took more than 18 hours of AP and dual credit in high school, which would mean that, after taking my first full-time semester at UTSA, I would have already earned more than 30 hours of total college credit. Will I still be eligible for the program?
Possibly. AP and dual credit will be counted toward the 30 hour college credit maximum to apply on a case-by-case basis. The University of Texas Health San Antonio School of Dentistry wants to be sure that pre-dental students give themselves the time to mature both academically and socially at an undergraduate institution in order to be adequately prepared for the rigors and the stresses that they will face as dental students. You must be able to take at least 60 college credit hours at UTSA to be eligible for DEAP.

Is there a special admissions program at UTSA that will allow me to gain entry to other dental schools aside from the UTHSA Dental School?
No. DEAP only allows for special admission to the UTHSA Dental School. Currently, UTSA does not hold special admissions agreements with any other dental schools.

After reading everything about DEAP on the HPO website, I believe that I am eligible for the program. When should I apply?
At the earliest, you may be able to apply after completing your first full semester at UTSA. At the latest, you must apply before you have accumulated 30 hours of college credit. When you meet with a HPO advisor for the first time to discuss your aspirations for the DEAP, he or she will help you to determine the best time to apply.

I have already been accepted to DEAP. Will I be kicked out of the program if I earn below a 3.4 GPA during one semester?
No. For DEAP, you are required to have cumulative and science GPAs of 3.4 by October 1st of your junior year to matriculate into DEAP.

I am a DEAP student. What happens if my cumulative or science GPA falls just below a 3.4 or if I do not earn an academic average of 19 or higher* on the DAT by the deadlines?
Students who do not meet the grade point average or DAT score requirements must apply as traditional applicants. Please consult with the DEAP advisor to confirm your eligibility.

*For students accepted to the program in 2013 and after.